This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Can't run games...

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm trying to run the online game Rappelz, but I keep getting a little pop up window that says "RenderDevice Creat Error" when I try to run the game. Here are some of my specs, let me know if you need more. Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9600 Series RAM: 510 MB Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2800+ ~2.1 GHz Any help would be appreciated.
The game recommends a minimum RAM of 512mb, but that generally will indicate that you can "get by" with 512mb but be happier with more RAM. The reviews of Rappelz suggest that the graphics background and player activity are relatively creative and of genuinely pleasing quality. That would suggest to me that graphics will be a burden on the system. Your video card "should" handle such a game, but would be considered "lower end" of video rendering power. You state that you have 510mb of RAM….? That suggests that there is an onboard utility that is drawing/borrowing from your RAM. Sure, that would only be 2mb of RAM, but "any" draw could impair your machine's overall performance in gaming. You "might" benefit from updating your graphics card driver. You probably would benefit from installing a graphics card with more onboard card processing memory. You would very likely benefit from installing more physical System RAM. There may be various unnecessary applications and updaters running in your StartUps. Take a look in MSCONFIG - Startup(tab) to disable unnecessary items. and/or ask if you have questions about StartUps. How is your internet connectivity for other sites? The specific Error pop-up that you are receiving is known to occur when the Power Supply is weak or not supplying adequate power to the graphics adapter card. You may benefit from replacing your PSU with a larger Wattage unit. Let us know how you progress with this situation. Best Regards
I ment 512 MB ram, lol sorry. Typo. I am going to highly consider getting more RAM. I've actually been thinking about that for awhile, it was just a matter of money. I've played games like this fine with my graphics card before. I used to play Lineage II C3 quite frequently, and never had any problems with it before. But I uninstalled that a long time ago (almost a year maybe?) after losing interest. I updated all my graphics card drivers and updated my DirectX before installing this Rappelz game. I took a look at that Start Ups menu and took off a few things that were not really needed all the time. My intenet has hardly ever given me problems. I get to pages pretty quickly. I think I'll try getting more RAM since it seems the least expensive soultion (vs getting a new graphics card) and I would benefit from it anyhow even if it didn't solve the problem. I haven't tried running as of this post, but I'm going to restart my PC now and try it out. I'll edit in what happens or what doesn't, lol. Any other advice you could give would be great. Thank you for your time. ^_^

Any other advice you could give would be great.


It would be interesting to know what hardware you may have added to your machine since the time when it was in its new original hardware configuration.
For instance:
New or 2nd Hard Drive ?
Raid configuration ?
New Optical Drives ?
Upgraded Sound Card ?
Camera ?
Other USB Devices ?
Additional case fans ?
any flashy LED illumination ?

All of the above could contribute to load on your PSU.
Most likely and especially if the machine was store-bought, it has a relatively minimal PSU with capacity for the original hardware configuration and little else. Since Graphics rendering is relative power demanding, it is important to be certain that your video card it receiving the power that it needs.

After RAM, you might want to consider a larger PSU.
Here's a couple of online PSU wattage/amperage calculators to give you a "general" idea of your machine's needs:
http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html <– very general
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine <– Recommended. Still general, but more options for including specifics

Here's a listing of recommended "good" PSUs compiled at PCMechanics forum
http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=131195
___________________

Beyond the above, any advice would be a "shot in the dark".

You can get a very good overview of your Machine, hardware, operating system, installed software, startups, and performance of memory, storage, graphics, internet connectivity and security by running the PCPitstop Full Tests.
If you decide to run the PCPitstop Full Tests, you can post the Results back here for further analysis and possible recommendations by using the TechExpress link.

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.



Keep us posted with your progress.

Best Regards
My machine was built by my father. No hardware has been changed, it is all the same as the day it was built. I take a look at those links. Thanks.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI