Putting the Desktop Icon on the bottom tool bar
4 min read
I used to have an icon on the bottom left side of my tool bar right next to the START button. How can I get it there again? I have WIN2000. Also I have XP on my laptop and want to get a desktop icon on the bottom tool bar as well. Can I get a twofer ….?
Hi 'dconant1'
Make sure your taskbar is unlocked, right click on it and to do this scroll down and uncheck "lock the taskbar"
Whatever icon you want in your taskbar, say it is WhattheTech site you are reading this reply on, go to file, scroll down to Send> choose "shortcut to desktop" then mimimise WTT site, hold down the left button of the mouse and drag the icon into the taskbar at the bottom where you want it to be.
Hope this is clear for you,
Best regards,
Hi,
Sorry to hear that you have lost the shortcut to "Desktop" from your quick launch toolbar.
To get it back in Windows XP try this:
1 Click Start
2 Click Run
3 TYpe in the white box:
Notepad
4 Notepad will open
copy and paste the following into notepad:
[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop
5 Save this as "Desktop.scf" but without the quote marks (save it to your desktop)
6 Drag the Icon for the above to your quick Launch Toolbar
see how you go.
NOTE make sure the file is saved as a .scf and not a .txt file
The above procedure should also work with Windows 2000, but I haven't fired up a WIN 2K machine to test it, so let us know how you go.
Regards
paws
EDIT WOW! tallin and Doug you sure type quicker than me!
Hi,
Sorry to hear that you have lost the shortcut to "Desktop" from your quick launch toolbar.
To get it back in Windows XP try this:
1 Click Start
2 Click Run
3 TYpe in the white box:
Notepad
4 Notepad will open
copy and paste the following into notepad:
[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop
5 Save this as "Desktop.scf" but without the quote marks (save it to your desktop)
6 Drag the Icon for the above to your quick Launch Toolbar
see how you go.
NOTE make sure the file is saved as a .scf and not a .txt file
The above procedure should also work with Windows 2000, but I haven't fired up a WIN 2K machine to test it, so let us know how you go.
Regards
paws
Paws, thanks for your information and how you do what 'dconant1' asked. I am always wanting to learn how others do things. I only got the option to "Save as a text file"
That did not work for me as I did not get an option to
NOTE make sure the file is saved as a .scf and not a .txt file.
My options were "Text documents or All files" and under the heading Encoding:
Encoding:
ANSI
Uniclode
Uniclode big endian
UTF-8
I am interested to know why that would be please?
thanks Paws, kind regards,
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI