I just purchased a new 3 in 1 printer (HP) . I got it up and running on my pc (windows xp) with the help of AX238. I am now having difficulty with my laptop and printing from it. Unfortunately, it came with windows Vista installed. When I try to print, a window called XPS Document Writer pops up wanting to know where I want my document stored , as a document, a picture, and so on. Just to humor this thing I clicked on "document". When nothing happens I close the window then get a "printer error and printer failed to print when starting document.") I see no reason not to uninstall this feature if that would help the printing issue. There are numerous websites offering free tools to remove this feature. Any suggestions? This the basic home version of Vista. Both of my computers have the Firefox browser as the default. thanks.
Hi,
Sorry to hear of the printing problem.
When you want to print, try this:
1 Open the document you want to print
2 Click on "Print" (usually available from the "File" Menu)
3 Look carefully at the Print dialog box and DO NOT select "Microsoft XPS Document Writer"
4 Instead select (using the down arrow) your HP printer
5 Then carry out your normal print procedure, clicking "OK" as required.
See how you go.
Regards
paws
Thanks Paws, for your solution. I see it now and wonder how I missed that. I still wonder, though, whether or not I can remove this XPS feature so I can go directly to print instead of having to designate a printer every time . justarookie
Hello again. I'm back. Now I'm having a erratic print problems with my laptop communicating with my new HP printer. Problems: printing 1 page from "my documents" ,a bank statement, the info is dispersed over 4 pages with some info missing.3/4 of the bank logo is missing. Also some faint lines from last # or letter in a line to edge of paper. A test print showed none of these issues and have no problems printing from my desktop thanks to Ax238 . I'm using the same usb cable from both computers. ,Thanks
2 When the print jobs (if there were any) have been canceled turn off your printer.
3 Close all open applications on your computer and shut down your computer.
4 Wait one minute, then turn on your printer and then restart your computer.
Post back and let us know how your printing now performs.
Regards
paws
Does your Banking site have an option for "Printable version"?
If your are simply printing the page that you browse at the Bank's site, your printer will receive all of the "formating signals" that are embedded on the webpage….. which may be three typed pages.
Best Regards
No they don't. I was initially trying to print a page I had saved into "my documents' but I've tried to print from the bank's website with the same result. I can preview the print task and it's a perfect preview but when I print I get 3 to 4 pages, some streaking, partial prints, colors mixed into black numbers in transaction info. I'm at a loss to describe what you need to see to resolve this issue. I just wish I was more knowledgeable about the different structures or systems that have to communicate to printers,etc., ???jar
Hi,
This is an interesting situation, to try and narrow down the possibilities a bit please try this:
1 Open a document, that you know has printed satisfactorily with any printer in the past with "Word" or your usual word processor, .
2 Try to print this with your HP Printer ;next:
3 Open an item of mail in your email programme and see if you can print that with the HP satisfactorily; next:
4 Try to print (with your HP printer) another part of any other webpage , but NOT one from your Bank or other financial institution.
See how you go and post back here in this thread with the outcomes.
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI