Thumbnails
4 min read
My OS is Windows XP Home. When I 'open' or 'explore' the folder 'My Pictures' for example, and then choose thumbnail view, any sub-folders WILL show thumbnails as their cover, BUT the individual files within the folders (.bmp, .jpg, ) DO NOT show as thumbnails, but nstead as their respective program icon. I've had to resort to using either the 'irfanview' or 'xnview' browsers ni order to 'explore' my pics. This is a recent problem, though I cannot say for sure when this first occured. Most image files are affected, or should I say the default browser has lost the ability to show thumbnail views for individual image files Quickie fixes such as restore to earlier date have been unsuccessful. ???
Hi 'hmagoo333,
I am having an attempt at answering your post, but am somewhat confused as to what you really want to do.
Can you please take us through step by step in more detail just what you want to achieve here please.
As a differnet programme to view you pictures, you may like to try Picasa
Please post back with more information and also let us know if Picasa is helpful.
kind regards,
I have other browsers, and they work well, but would still like to have the default browser abilities that I had originally. All other aspects of explorer (for lack of better name) work as advertized, except when thumbnail view is selected, I do not get thumbnails of my image files, only icons representing those image files. Well I don't know if that explains it any better, but I do appreciate any feedback~~hmagoo333
Hello Tallin, thank you for getting back to me on this. I admit my post was a bit confussing. So……here goes: open 'My Computer, open 'My Documents,…rt. click My Pictures,then click 'explore '(just a personal preference). In this 'tree', file-manager-style view. one of the options for viewing files is 'thumbnails view or view as thumbnails'. Normally this would result in image files being displayed as they are, just thumbnail size. But now files with ext.such as .bmp or .jpg are show (viewed as) an icon, as if I had choosen 'view as icons'
I have other browsers, and they work well, but would still like to have the default browser abilities that I had originally. All other aspects of explorer (for lack of better name) work as advertized, except when thumbnail view is selected, I do not get thumbnails of my image files, only icons representing those image files. Well I don't know if that explains it any better, but I do appreciate any feedback~~hmagoo333
Thanks for your explanation. I am still not able to help you here.
I am confused by your term 'browser' (are you meaning Folders) when accessing files within Windows Explorer. If you open Windows Explorer>tools>folder options> you can then set your folders as default or choose what you want them to do……….. however with my folders I can achieve any setting from the long list of options under the view tab and enable 'Apply to all folders'.
Just another thought, perhaps the files that are showing as bmp & jpg were saved as such by you.
Hoping someone else may come by to assist here,
Sorry I am not more help.
kind regards,
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI