This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Setting up my Desktop as Internet Access Point

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Just bought an XBox 360 and I want to connect it to the internet. Unfortunately, the router is downstairs in the dining room and running an ethernet cable all the way down there would make everything a mess. I was wondering if I could use my desktop as an access point to the internet, seeing that it already has wireless access to the router. I wanted to connect my ethernet cable from the XBox to the Desktop (which is upstairs). I can't seem to find anything on whether it's possible or not. And yes, I know there are wireless cards for the XBox (but they're pretty pricey and I feel Microsoft is overpricing these things). Just trying to look for different solutions. My ethernet card is a Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller. I use an ASUS P4P800SE Motherboard My operating system is Windows XP Professional.
Greetings Capntightpants

Welcome to WTT

Came across this tutorial on networking X-boxes to the internet.

Networking Xboxes

I am thinking configuration 2 is what you are looking to do. Since the Desktop does have two NIC's. One wireless and one ethernet.

Dont own a xbox myself, but looks to me you will have to either make or aquire a cross-over ethernet cable to make this network.

As a pure wireless setup, (xbox wireless to wireless router)
Microsoft does have a solution in a wireless-to-Ethernet bridge that is availible to make the xbox wireless. They call for a
D-Link DWL-G810 to be used. but would cost $100.00 or more to aquire.

Wireless to Ethernet Bridge-xbox

For cross-over cables, you can buy them off the shelf or made them yourself. Depends on length, but should be under $20.00. Have a old hub or switch around you can forgo the cross-over cables and use straight throughs. But why complicate it more?

Give it a go and good luck

Regards

Kaz.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI