I recently purchased a D-Link WBR 1310 router with it's matching wireless usb adapter. Hooked all up as instructed. My 2 computers are basically only 30 feet apart (in different rooms though). I have DSL. Both computers have Network cards, etc.. Everything seems to work ok where as "Yes I can get onto the internet and search using my 2nd computer" but everything is Extremely Slow. Downloading of video's (for example on You Tube) is almost impossible as the video comes through in bits and pieces and very jerky, not smoothly at all. Searching on Google is not too bad but then once you try to go to a page then it takes a very long time to actually display the page. For example, I will go to ebay and then try to display an item and it can take sometimes up to one to two full minutes to display any search that I try. The whole thing acts as if I am on a very slow dial-up connection.
I have used each computer individually on the internet without any trouble. My older computer is only 1 yr old and I used it all the time until I purchased this newer computer. I had no problems with download speeds for videos or pages, etc. When I purchased this newer computer, I used it for all my internet stuff and the older one was only used for my office stuff until I bought the router. So, I know that each computer - on it's own - is very quick on the internet for searching and downloading. The problem seems to lie in the router somehow but I'm not experienced enough to know where to start to look.
I am not an overly experienced computer person for all the "hardware" type of things so if someone can please help me out, please be very detailed in your instruction. I can follow the instructions if they are laid out to me in basic terms. I'm great at figuring out how to work a program that I'm unfamiliar with but I've just never had to play with any of the external peripherals or stuff like that :).
Can someone help me out with this problem and suggest what might be my trouble and how to fix? I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.
Your difficulty with the second computer may be a purely physical one.
While it is only 30 feet away, the wireless transmission is "line of sight" and can be blocked and/or compromised by obstacles like walls, appliances, book shelves, nearby fluorescent lights, fans, wireless phones, desks, etc.
"Generally" it is better to have your wireless router placed "higher" in the originating room for improved transmission.
Similarly, having the second computer on the floor, for example underneath a desk, may block or diminish reception of transmission.
Since we aren't familiar with your physical layout, we can't "know" that the problem is "physical", but it is a good first-step line of investigation. You could even, swap locations of the first and second computers to see if they both have difficulty in the location.
After you've reviewed the physical layout, we can address the configuration of your router, and network adapters.
Best Regards
Thank you Doug for your response.
My two computers, even though in seperate rooms, have a clear line of sight with each other. The computer with the modem is situated right close to the door to the hall and the modem is placed so that it is totally visible with the second computer. The modem is placed on the top ledge of the desk (about 3' off the floor). The second computer cpu is placed on a small kitchen table and the wireless adapter is placed on the top of that cpu giving it a clear path to the modem with no walls inbetween.
There are no appliances, book shelves, etc. placed in between the two computers BUT, there is my cordless phone main receiver placed about midway between up against the wall. The phone is not in the direct line of sight but about 20" back behind that direct line. Could this still be affecting the transmission then?
We have recently just purchased this house and my plans were to place my main computer downstairs in the future (as soon as the basement is redone). Should I possibly ditch this "wireless" idea then and have my two computers hard wired together? That would mean running a cable through my floor or something I suppose but if it means having trouble free internet on both computers then that might have to be the route to take.
Thank you.
To investigate the influence of your cordless phone base broadcaster, unplug it and take the batteries out of your mobile cordless hand set. Then try your internet access from the second computer. If it is now improved, the cordless broadcast did have an effect. If it is not improved, that doesn't rule out the cordless as an influence, but does indicate that other factors are involved separately or in combination.
Many features of your router - network adapter configuration can also influence the quality of your internet connection.
It might make sense to start over.
Completely uninstall the software related to both your Router and the network adapters, AND physically disconnect them.
Carefully walk through the installation and physical connecting again, making sure that computer number one is functioning well wirelessly, before adding computer number two.
If, after doing the above, you still have less than desirable wireless internet connection to computer number two, we will need to look in Network Connections - Status (of the connection), Properties, encryption, firewalls and security utilities, and the like.
As to your last question…. Yes. Ethernet cable connection with wireless broadcast turned-off will provide the most stable, strongest and most secure internet connectivity. You gain "convenience" of wireless connection at the cost of reduced through-put (which you wouldn't ordinarily even notice with a well-configured system), and vulnerability to environmental factors.
Best Regards
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI