This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Internet is Much Slower Than it Should Be

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm certain there are a whole lot of these, and I've been through quite a few of them trying to find a solution with no luck so he I am. As the title would suggest my internet is much slower than it should be(I have FIOS internet and am getting 50kb/s downloads and 1mb/s speed test results). I am using a Belkin Wireless USB adapter to connect to the internet, I am certain the problem is not in that hardware as I have tested it on another computer and the speed is just fine. The problem is not with the internet itself as I have tested the speed on other computers on the same network and they both came in at about 15mb/s. There is very little running in the background and I've done up to date malware/virus scans, or at least the best I can do for free. I've only just purchased the used computer. It was, and I think this may be an important part, an office computer until the business went under. I wonder if there is any program running on the computer or anything in the settings that could be limiting the amount of bandwidth it is able to use. Whatever the problem is the internet speed on this computer is about 5% of what it should be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
What is the make and model number of the computer? How are you connecting, Ethernet or wireless? If Ethernet, is the NIC onboard or a separate PCI NIC? If separate, what is the make and model number?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI