Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet is Much Slower Than it Should Be

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sacheilx7

Sacheilx7

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:52 PM

I'm certain there are a whole lot of these, and I've been through quite a few of them trying to find a solution with no luck so he I am. As the title would suggest my internet is much slower than it should be(I have FIOS internet and am getting 50kb/s downloads and 1mb/s speed test results). I am using a Belkin Wireless USB adapter to connect to the internet, I am certain the problem is not in that hardware as I have tested it on another computer and the speed is just fine. The problem is not with the internet itself as I have tested the speed on other computers on the same network and they both came in at about 15mb/s. There is very little running in the background and I've done up to date malware/virus scans, or at least the best I can do for free. I've only just purchased the used computer. It was, and I think this may be an important part, an office computer until the business went under. I wonder if there is any program running on the computer or anything in the settings that could be limiting the amount of bandwidth it is able to use. Whatever the problem is the internet speed on this computer is about 5% of what it should be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:25 PM

What is the make and model number of the computer? How are you connecting, Ethernet or wireless? If Ethernet, is the NIC onboard or a separate PCI NIC? If separate, what is the make and model number?

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown