This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Want to scrub my old hard drive

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an old comp that I want to give away for parts, but I want to clean off the hard drive first. The comp is not functioning. I have pulled out the hard drive, and I want to know if there is any way to connect it to a functioning pc so I can scrub the hard drive. What are my options? thanks maryann
Smart move wanting to scrub your drive before getting rid of it! :thumbup: So many folks never think about doing that, or they think a simple format will prevent someone from seeing what was there. Not so. Although a format will stop honest folks from detecting what was there, a determined bad guy could analyze the drive and pick off personal information quite easily. Not cool.

Eraser is a popular, very effective program, and one of the best IMO. And the price is right too - free!

If you have an external drive enclosure, you can install the drive in there and run Eraser on it, or you can temporarily install that drive in another computer.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI