Hi,
It's been awhile since I've been here and hope I get the same great help again.
One of my OLD computers is so logged up with carp** (that I know nothing about doing anything with) and I want to clean it all out so there's nothing left on the computer. They only thing is, I don't have a clue HOW to do this. can anyone tell me what I have to do and what I need besides a windows disk to get started again after it's all been wiped out.
Thanks for any help!
DizzyD
PS…The computer is an IBM 340 (told ya it was old)
it has windows 98 on it.
Hi,
There's no doubt that formatting and reinstalling windows will have usually, a dramatic effect.
Make sure before you start that you have backed up/archived/copied to removalable media all your important stuff including drivers, emails, address book, favourites, documents and settings, make a note of passwords (keep 'em safe!) your Windows product key and all your installation discs. If you are in the final stages of completing your latest book or PHd thesis or have lots of music photos etc that are important to you then make sure you have an extra copy of them! Many folks back up/archive/copy their important stuff but fail to do the final important step and that is to make sure it is all 100% up to date, correct and reproducible! It's not nice to find your back up etc is damaged 5 minutes after you have just formatted and wiped everything!
Before you start it would also be sensible to make sure that you have the most up to date version of your Antvirus, antispyware and 2 way software firewall that is compatible with your machine and Win98 or whatever Os you are going to install. handy and on mediua that makes it easy to install.
As you know Win98 is no longer being supported by Microsoft issuing security and vulnerability updates so if you use this machine and operating system on the Internet you will need to be careful not to let it become infected. Post back here if you need a steer on this or fire up your favourite search engine as there is lots of information and advive around (some of it is correct as well!!)
A more up to date Operating System might be worth considering as long as your machine would run on one (I haven't checked) but as always its your call.
Here's a link to a site that should tell you how to go about the task, and gives lots of extra information http://www.cyberwalker.com/topic/44
Good luck
Regards
paws
You'll also need a Windows 98 StartUp Floppy with FDisk utilities.
You'll use that Floppy to reformat your Hard Drive since the Win98 install CD does not have that capability. (to my knowledge anyway)
If you don't have such a Win98 StartUp Floppy you can download and create one from bootdisk.com.
Best Regards
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI