This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

suspicious file

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

No joy again paws.It tells me theres no locking handle but it can help with the file.it gives me the option to delete the file on reboot but when i reboot its still there in all its gloating glory.I contacted speedbit and there input so far has been far from resourceful.The file could be harmless but i cant help but think anything this hard to get rid of has got to be dodgey.If you have anything else i'll gladly take it but if your tiring of this i understand. I know there's alot more people out there that need your help. yours thankfully Jan.
Hi,
This really is being a bit obstinate!
Try this,
we will attempt to delete the folder not by using its normal name, but by using its DOS short name.

1 Open a cmd prompt (Start.Run> type
cmd
and hit enter
2 at the blinking cursor of the black screen type
cd\Program Files
note there is no space after the cd\
3 You should now be in the C:\Program Files directory
4 type
Dir /x /a
note there is a space after the r and after the x
5 Hopefully you will now be able to see the short names of the directories (Windows calls these folders…its the same thing!
6 use the scroll arrow to locate the folder you want rid off and note its exact spelling for example if the folder was called BadFolder then it would probably look like BADFOLD~1 the curly thing is a tilde and on my Keyboard (UK version) its above the square or hash key
7 Now at the command prompt (the blinking cursor)
8 type
rd BADFOL~1
substitute the folder you want to delete for BADFOL~1
9 please note there is no going back…..as soon as you hit the enter key the command should execute…there will be no friendly message saying "are you sure?" so if you are happy then:
10 hit the Enter key
to close the black screen type
exit
and hit the Enter key

Please forgive me saying this if you are a DOS expert, but so many folks forget the correct syntax when using DOS or writing DOS batch files (including me!) so it's worth saying that the spaces in the above commands are essential…..it's also important to note where the backslash is used and where the forward slash is used as they are not interchangeable, the commands will not be executed and you will just get a message saying "Bad Command or File name"…or nothing at all if you miss any out!, or backslash when you should forward slash!

For the above commands to work you should be in the directory where the problem folders are, to change directory the command is;
cd\
and type in the name of the directory (there is no space after the cd\
to delete files from within a directory then the command is del and type in the name of the file (there is a space after the del)

See how you go and let us know
If that does the trick, then fine, but if not there are plenty of other steps we can take.
Regards
paws
Hi, Ok, some systems have had the DOS truncated file name facility disabled, so this could be the reason. I wonder who/what disabled it? I will be posting some more tools for you to consider using, but in the meantime try the Dos method referred to previously in safe mode….you will need safe mode with command prompt I will get back to you shortly……paying customers beginning to make angry noises! Regards paws
Hi again, Paying customers quelled! Having taken another hard look at all your posts, before we go any further, I have called up for "air support" and requested a renowned Malware Removal Expert to take a look at your posts, What is concerning me is the possibility of undesirable elements being present on your machine and amongst other things preventing some remedial actions from executing. He may ask you to run a HiJackThis application and post a log file in the malware removal forum, but please don't do this until either he or I request it. Regards paws
Mornin Paws.Well your probably gettin ready for the bar where you are.I just wanted to point out that i can see the DOS names for most programs.there is only about 10 that i cant.I was also wondering if it is possible to make some kind of mirror image of my user account,save it to a new user account and delete the bad files before installing the image in the new user account,or something like that.I also think something might be messing with my system restore cause it always tells me it cant restore to a previous point cause nothing has changed but i install new games and programs and updates all the time.I also noticed that i can remove the history folder from the Dap folder and delete the Dap folder so maybe something (malware?)has latched onto Dap.I point this out so anybody who reads this does not automatically think this is Daps fault.I'm sure lots off people have a good history with Dap. yours sincerely jan. have a good weekend.
Hi, That is very interesting that you can now delete the DAP folder. My first feeling is to say Hooray! Problem solved… but I still have a suspicion that there could be more going on behind the scenes. I am on a housecall at the moment using a customers machine but using a copy (Live) of Ubunto (Linux) to get here, as I don't want anything written to his hard drive at the moment (purely as as a test you understand!) So I'll need to be quick…… I would like you please, to visit the malware removal forum and post an HJT log using normal boot mode and with any applications that you have disabled through MSCONFIG allowed to run. Please make your topic heading….Referred by paws, Tech Team., and post a link to this thread. Once you have made the post do not add any further posts to that thread until you have received a response. (it's Ok to make further posts here in this thread, but I would prefer you to wait until you have received a response from the malware removal expert before you make any system changes.) It may be necessary for you to wait for a response as the weekend is now well upon us. If you are not sure of the exact procedure to follow when posting an HJT log then post back here and I'll provide you with the links when I'm back in my workshop. Regards paws