This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

zone Alarm

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

ok here is one for you all. I am useing Z.A. and it gives me notices that it is blocking my computer from my computer and also blocks my computer from some other things. I have tried to set it up in a few different ways but when it comes to fire walls I dont know a thing. It is the freeware version. I am not much good at knowing what it is telling me and what I am blocking and what I am letting go in and out. Any good ways to set this up?
Hi, One of the advantages of Zone Alarm is that when you install it it will scan your system and automatically allow access for your browser to access the internet and email etc. If it subsequently comes up with a warning that "XYZ is trying to access" etc the golden rule is if you don't recognise the application that is trying to get in ( or out) then just click on "deny" make sure the box about remembering is unchecked/unticked/cleared. (This will give you opportunities to review your decision in the future) You can always fire up your favourite search engine to help you decide if an application is legit or is best denied access for the time being. Your Zone Alarm will act a bit like a sentry standing guard at the gates to your property and checking on the credentials of any one who wants to come in or go out! If its not sure if a "visitor is legit it will ask you, If you are not sure then say no! If you have just installed a programme or application or updated one then don't be surprised if it asks you if its OK for the new updated version to have access. Regards paws
I run Zone Alarm Free just as you do.

Paws has posted exactly what it does so it is really up to you to let in or out what you want. Once Zone Alarm gets to know your system giving permissions settles down. Be patient.

One good thing when you update Zone remembers all your settings so you don't need to go through the learning proceedure again.

Good luck and hope this helps
Thanks Paws, but the problem seems to be that it never gives me that oportunity. So I guess I should be asking you how may I set it up properly? See all it ever does is tell me it has blocked something then all I can do is look at it and click "ok" thats it. I never get a choice. Then there is the problem of why is it blocking my IP address from me? it comes up and tells me it blocked an ip addy but it is mine what sence does that make? It can block up to 20 and 30 things ind a day and that is great but I dont ever know what why or get any choice in the matter and when I do look up some of the ip addresses that are not mine I cant figure out what they are. Tallin, Thanks to you too but again I NEVER get choices
Hi If you click on the Zone Alarm Icon in the notification area and then click on "Program Control" it will show you the applications and to what you have permitted access and and what you have denied. If you are unsure of anything (under access) that has a tick (checkmark) next to it then alter it to block or ask. Under the server column, you generally should have a whole column of ?? 's If Zone Alarm just blocks something and doesn't give you a choice then as long as your machine working OK thats fine. just let it get on with its job. For more information click on the Help button of Zone Alarm and you can look up specific info, there is also a "tour" you can take that gives you an outline of the security that Zone Alarm provides, Regards paws
thank you that was helpful. I have gone in there and checked and unchecked things before but was unsure I was doing anything right. I did have to make some changes to the server colum but one thing has an X and I am unsure why. I Sill dont get why it blocks me from me :wall: Can you or anyone explain that? in the mean time I will also try to look into it with ZA also. As for working ok well,,,,I am trying to get outlook to download updates and it cant but that is in another thread already. But thank you for all the advice
Hey Dangedcoyote,

Can you be more specific with this:

I did have to make some changes to the server colum but one thing has an X and I am unsure why.
I Sill dont get why it blocks me from me


Which item(s)?
What are the current settings for the item(s)?

Tallin,
Thanks to you too but again I NEVER get choices

Hi dangedcoyote,

If I were you I would download the latest Free Zone Alarm again and save it to your desktop. Go off line and uninstall your present installation. I would then enable Windows Firewall, (Off line) then go online and install the new downloaded Zone Alarm. I would go with the default settings of the new installation until you become familiar with your new installation.

http://filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/Windows

Please note that when you install Zone Alarm, Windows Firewall is instantly disabled by that installation so you don't need to disable Windows Firewall yourself.

Please consider doing this, if you do, then we can help you to customise your settings slowly if you require further help or do not like the default settings of the installation.

Are you on a Network as if you are you will need help with adding/enabling your ISP within the firewall setting/zones.

Please keep up updated with your decisions and progress here and don't hesitate to get back for further help.

kind regards,
Good morning Doug, I took the liberty of changing one that I thought might be ok and now I dont remember what one that was. However, The one that still has an X and not a ? is "Generic host process for WIN 32 services." Within the Server side there are two parts one for "trusted" and one for "internet" / the internet has the X and the other has a ? ZoneAlarm updating client under server has an X in both on the server side. Not sure why, I did not put it there. Some others had green checks that I made into ? since I was told most all should be that or would be that. Thank you for your help P.S. what I am getting from my fire wall seems to be this: Blocked Internet access to your computer (NETBIOS session) from 192.168.X.XXX {TCP Port 1153} [TCP Flag S] and Blocked I.A. to 192.168.x.xxx ( NETBIOS Datagram) from your computer the last 4 numbers have been "x"ed out by me; what I think is strange is that is my ip addy as far as I know. This is also the parts that I say "blocks me from me"
Hi Dangedcoyote,

Sometimes "alerts" report "ordinary" traffic.
If you want to read a little more about NETBIOS DATAGRAMS:
http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/386/10/2.html

As with any piece of equipment, it takes a bit of time to become familiar with the functioning of a computer.
"Ordinary" computer activity can seem daunting, until the owner/user begins to recognize the common features and functions used in regular computer operation.

Zone Alarm is treating you right.

Oh, your settings for Generic host process for WIN 32 services
Three green checkmarks and a Red X is the common/correct default setting.

Learning can be exciting. Hope you enjoy.

Doug
You know me Doug, I am always happy to learn I just seemed to be looking for all the right answers in all the wrong places. Knowing where to look is a great thing and then Knowing what info to trust. Again thanks. Now you wanna try my MS outlook problem? It is a nightmare! oh and thanks for letting me know that ZA is doing what it should. I dont get it but will read. First of all I will trust you and let it go then read. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI