Software
Any Suggestions For A Program That Will Completely Delete Deleted File
4 min read
tcdollar
Topic Starter
Hi –
I'm looking for a safe program to completely delete files and items I've deleted from my computer. I've heard of programs like "Wipe Info" and something called "Shredder" (I think). I just want to clean up my computer so it will run more smoothly and efficiently.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
T. C. Dollar
tallin
Hi –
I'm looking for a safe program to completely delete files and items I've deleted from my computer. I've heard of programs like "Wipe Info" and something called "Shredder" (I think). I just want to clean up my computer so it will run more smoothly and efficiently.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
T. C. Dollar
Take you pick from http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=n…from+hard+drive
I have no recommendations however, but one of these may fit your requirements.
Why not hold down shift when you click delete bypassing the recycle bin. Is that complete enough for you?
kind regards,
tcdollar
Thank you, tallin – I didn't know you could hold the shift key and bypass the recycle bin, or that doing that would get rid of all traces of files that you had just deleted – I appreciate the information.
I did a search on Google before I came here; but I don't know which ones are safe programs to download to my computer; so, I was looking for recommendations from an expert (or, at least someone who knows a lot more than me.)
Thanks for the input, though.
T. C. Dollar
Doug
Hi tcdollar,
Pressing the Shift-Key + Delete does "bypass" the recycle bin, but does not permanently remove the actual "file data", which remains on your Hard Drive and is available to be recovered at least until it gets overwritten several times through ordinary computer use. Deleting files in Windows doesn't really remove the file. It just removes the reference to those files which means a data recovery program can still restore them.
If you want to Securely Delete File Data, you can use various commercially available and freeware utilities.
Of the "freeware" offerings:
Consider: Eraser or FileShredder
Available here: http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/security/fwerase.html
Of the "paid products" — Controversy gets ugly real fast, due to some rather unscrupulous advertising and marketing practices that some third-party associate vendors have used in the past to try to promote their product by discrediting other products and to "scare" the user into purchasing the product based on exaggerated claims of government spying and other file investigation shams.
I would advise you to NOT heed advice from sites, blogs, postings, that use Scare Tactics and/or Tactics to discredit "competitor's Products.
Of the paid product offerings:
I use: Directory Snoop, which has a robust featured Wipe utility (data and/or free space) and a Purge feature to eliminate file references. It works
Directory Snoop also has a restore file function for single file restoration, if you accidentally used Windows Delete and need to get the file back. (but once you use the Wipe and Purge functions… forget about it, you're not going to get it back.)
http://www.briggsoft.com/
I also like Erase from PCPitstop
Here's why:
Many owner/users of average computer competency, really don't know where to look to find the various traces of Internet activity and confidential files that may be resident on your machine.
"Erase" provides an easy to use and understand interface to show you what is there, when you don't know where to look.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/erase.asp
Note: The above free and paid products are listed and linked to assist and answer the specific question of the original poster inquiring about such products.
Neither this responder, nor WhatTheTech Forums endorse the listed products, nor are there any financial or business agreements in place regarding these products.
In other words, neither WTT nor myself stand to benefit if you use or purchase one of the products.
Also, neither WTT nor myself can be held responsible for consequences of your decision to use one of the products.
Proceed at your own discretion and risk.
These are powerful utilities. If you use them without knowing what you are doing, you could lose valuable file information, and/or damage your operating system.
Best Regards
Doug
Pressing the Shift-Key + Delete does "bypass" the recycle bin, but does not permanently remove the actual "file data", which remains on your Hard Drive and is available to be recovered at least until it gets overwritten several times through ordinary computer use. Deleting files in Windows doesn't really remove the file. It just removes the reference to those files which means a data recovery program can still restore them.
If you want to Securely Delete File Data, you can use various commercially available and freeware utilities.
Of the "freeware" offerings:
Consider: Eraser or FileShredder
Available here: http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/security/fwerase.html
Of the "paid products" — Controversy gets ugly real fast, due to some rather unscrupulous advertising and marketing practices that some third-party associate vendors have used in the past to try to promote their product by discrediting other products and to "scare" the user into purchasing the product based on exaggerated claims of government spying and other file investigation shams.
I would advise you to NOT heed advice from sites, blogs, postings, that use Scare Tactics and/or Tactics to discredit "competitor's Products.
Of the paid product offerings:
I use: Directory Snoop, which has a robust featured Wipe utility (data and/or free space) and a Purge feature to eliminate file references. It works
Directory Snoop also has a restore file function for single file restoration, if you accidentally used Windows Delete and need to get the file back. (but once you use the Wipe and Purge functions… forget about it, you're not going to get it back.)
http://www.briggsoft.com/
I also like Erase from PCPitstop
Here's why:
Many owner/users of average computer competency, really don't know where to look to find the various traces of Internet activity and confidential files that may be resident on your machine.
"Erase" provides an easy to use and understand interface to show you what is there, when you don't know where to look.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/erase.asp
Note: The above free and paid products are listed and linked to assist and answer the specific question of the original poster inquiring about such products.
Neither this responder, nor WhatTheTech Forums endorse the listed products, nor are there any financial or business agreements in place regarding these products.
In other words, neither WTT nor myself stand to benefit if you use or purchase one of the products.
Also, neither WTT nor myself can be held responsible for consequences of your decision to use one of the products.
Proceed at your own discretion and risk.
These are powerful utilities. If you use them without knowing what you are doing, you could lose valuable file information, and/or damage your operating system.
Best Regards
Doug
tcdollar
Thank you SO much, Doug! That is exactly the helpful information that I was hoping to find here in WTT.
You are awesome!
T. C. Dollar
Doug
From your original post you state:
None of the utilities that I listed above will provide much help for you for that purpose.
The are "explicitly" designed to Securely Delete unwanted files, confidential files, and the like.
_____
If you just want a good utility that will remove the "ordinary" junk files that accumulate during browsing and application daily use, then select one of the following:
ATF-Cleaner by Attribune http://majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html
or
CleanUp! 4.52 http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?optio…8&Itemid=70
____________
As part of regular maintenance and first-line defense against malware, both/either are exellent.
Best Regards
I just want to clean up my computer so it will run more smoothly and efficiently.
None of the utilities that I listed above will provide much help for you for that purpose.
The are "explicitly" designed to Securely Delete unwanted files, confidential files, and the like.
_____
If you just want a good utility that will remove the "ordinary" junk files that accumulate during browsing and application daily use, then select one of the following:
ATF-Cleaner by Attribune http://majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html
or
CleanUp! 4.52 http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?optio…8&Itemid=70
____________
As part of regular maintenance and first-line defense against malware, both/either are exellent.
Best Regards
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI