This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't load Windows, Can't get into Safe Mode

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So I was updating some drivers on my pc and one of them said I needed to restart for it to take affect. I restarted and the pc now wont load Windows XP. I get to the screen where i can choose to go into setup or whatever and then it goes to the screen where i can choose to go into safe mode or start from the last normal start. The problem there is I cant arrow up to the safe mode choice. I cant do anything so the pc tries to start from the last normal start and it gets a blue screen which lasts for just the blink of an eye so i cant read the error, then it shuts down and starts the whole cycle over. I went into BIOS and changed it to boot from the CD ROM and i inserted the original Win XP disc. It gets to a page that says to boot from disc press any key, but when i do nothing happens. I guess my pc isn't recognizing my USB keyboard so i cant scroll up to safe mode on that one screen and i cant press any key on the boot screen. I need help this is driving me crazy. :pullhair:
Yep your stuffed with that keyboard, some systems don't load the USB components soon enough to use the keyboard to be able to make selections prior to reaching windows, you have 2 options, look in the bios, see if you have any USB entries and see what they are set at, IIRC "some" bios entries have an option to enable USB prior to reaching Windows, can't recall the phrase but when you see it odds on you should recognise it. The only other option you have is get another keyboard, get one with a PS2 connector, or if you have a USB to PS2 adaptor (some USB keyboards come with them) then try that first, alternately if you can borrow a PS2 keyboard from a neighbour or mate then your laughing, as soon as you get the keyboard to work then you can make the selections you require, I'd suggest buying a very cheap one and store it for times like this, they are so cheap for a basic one with PS2 it means you will never be caught like this again, I had to do the same for a mate the other year, so it is your only hope to proceed.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI