This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Updates After System Recovery

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I recently started using a Compaq Desktop with Windows XP Home SP2 after more than a year of no use at all. Windows automatic updates downloaded a lot of updates and I let them install all at once over a couple three online sessions. The system became very slow to boot and in general. I tried several spyware removal tools, registry cleaners, etc. to no avail. Because there were a lot of programs and data on it that were no longer necessary, I decided to do a full system recovery back to factory new. That all went fine and now Windows automatic update has downloaded 64 some odd updates. I was wondering what the recommended method of getting all of the updates installed might be, all at once again or in stages? Any particular order? Also the OS is back to Windows XP Home SP1, should I download SP2 now or wait for the automatic updates to discover it and download then? It doesn't appear in the current list of updates to be installed. Secondly, I re-installed a Belkin wireless PCI adaptor which now will only stay connected to the Belkin wireless router for 3 to 5 minutes and then looses the connection. I've been working with Belkin and they have upgraded the incident to a "level two" support tech who is supposed to be calling me at some point, I have no way of knowing when. Do you know any reason why the system recovery might have affected the wireless connection integrity? It was fine just before. Thanks for any help, I'll download HJT and post the header results after scanning that PC. Pdoughboy
MS Updates has been used a b-zillion times to successfully update XP to SP2.
…… But it takes forever, and with your present internet connection problem you may be frustrated.

You can "order" a CD of SP2 directly from MS for about $9.00 US shipping and handling.
I keep a couple of those disks handy all of the time.
Usually delivered in less than one week.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx
_________

or You can download the whole SP2 and burn it to disk, here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en
_________

Or allow MS Updates to do the whole thing for you.
___________

Again, it appears that you need to focus your attention on the Internet Connection, first.
__________

Temporarily, for purpose of getting your operating system updated, is it possible to simply connect the computer by Ethernet Cable to your Router? (download speed would likely be much better)

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI