Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows still shows I need updates after they have been installed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 free_spirit_etc

free_spirit_etc

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:03 PM

Windows still shows I need updates after they have been installed.

The Windows Updates are:
Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417) Thursday, July 08, 2010 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982524) Thursday, July 08, 2010 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982168) Thursday, July 08, 2010 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP x86 (KB979909) Thursday, July 08, 2010 Automatic Updates

They are showing as successfully installed. They have automatically installed multiple times and I have manually installed them several times. But I still keep getting the message that updates are ready to install. And when I go to the update center they show as still needing to be installed. They began installing on June 10.

I started following the instructions at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339. I tried the Malicious Software Removal Tool and spyware fighting tools so far. I also tried installing in Safe mode but get a message that the installation failed because I am in Safe mode or because a problem with Windows Installers.

I previously posted this in my recent thread in the Spyware Forum.

http://forums.whatth...h...112985&st=0

Thanks!
Think Outside The Box

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:35 AM

If I am reading your post correctly, these difficult updates are critical updates to the Net framework and SP installs already on your PC. If they are not just critical updates to these installs, but full installs, ignore my instructions about deleting from the 'download' folder. Follow the rest of the instructions only. ----------------------------------------- I once had a similar problem with some critical updates and below is what I did. All the updates I was having trouble with, except one of them, installed correctly. I just ignored the one I couldn't install from then on. ------------------------------------------ 1. Go to Start / Run and enter: %windir%\SoftwareDistribution 2. Double click on 'download' folder. If any of the updates you mentioned are there, delete them. 3. Go to Control Panel / Automatic Updates and select 'notify me but do not download updates'. This will turn off auto-updates. 4. Return to Microsoft Windows update center and choose 'custom'. Let the scan run. If any of the updates you have mentioned are there, untick them and download all other critical updates. 5.Close and Reboot. 6.Return to Windows update center and again choose 'custom'. If any of the downloads you originally mentioned are there, download the first one on the list only (untick the others).. 7. Close and Reboot. 8. Return to Update Center. and see if that update you downloaded is offered up again. If it is, untick it and move on to the next one from your list and download that one only. Close and reboot and repeat these steps until there are no more left of your 'difficult' update list. There is a good chance some or even all of the updates will install successfully if downloaded separately. If they all install properly, turn on Auto Updates again, If not, leave the Auto Update setting as it is. Lets see how you go with the above strategy.

Edited by Lee, 14 July 2010 - 03:48 AM.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

You could also try Step 4 of that MS article: Method 4: Contact Microsoft Product Support for help Contact Microsoft Product Support for help. To contact Microsoft Product Support, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Update or Microsoft Update. 2. Click Get help and support, and then follow the instructions on the Web site. I believe update problems are still handled for free.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#4 free_spirit_etc

free_spirit_etc

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:59 PM

Thanks to both of you. I tried installing them separately and it still shows that they need to be installed. I will try contacting Microsoft Support.
Think Outside The Box

#5 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • Interests:Serving the Lord and Riding motorcycles and computers.

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:19 PM

Not to cut in here for the life of me I had this happen to me once. That after you install the updates, windows still download the updates and ask you to install them again.

I cannot remember what I did to stop that here are the link I found in my notes that may help:

http://www.vistahead...ame-update.html

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=910339

http://www.updatexp....-installed.html

http://www3.telus.ne...r/needagain.htm

May or may not help.

Jimbo

Edited by Jimbo1, 16 July 2010 - 05:01 PM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#6 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:39 PM

Good number of possible fixes there Jimbo. Hopefully, one of them should work Free spirit.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#7 free_spirit_etc

free_spirit_etc

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

Thanks for the info. I did the one where you contact Microsoft for support and am waiting to hear back from them. I am a bit nervous with the one about making changes in the registry, since I don't know what I am doing. Now it is still showing that I need the same updates, but the part when I shut my computer down that asks if I want to shut it down before installing updates has gone away.
Think Outside The Box

#8 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:14 AM

Don't make any changes to the registy if you are not familiar with the process and registry change language and proceedures.

Please download this small ERUNT program from: http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/ if your are intent on 'trying your luck' in the registry.

ERUNT is an easy to use registy back-up utility. Use it to make a reg. back-up before any changes to the registry.

It is preferable that you don't mess with the registry if you are unsure about what you are doing. You might find yourself out of the frying pan and into the fire.

#9 free_spirit_etc

free_spirit_etc

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:21 AM

Thanks to everyone! Microsoft Support had me uninstall and clean up the NET Framework components, and reinstall .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and its update. It worked great! After seeing that little yellow update flag every time I turned on the computer it is great to now go to Microsoft Update site and see " No high-priority updates for your computer are available." Thanks!
Think Outside The Box

#10 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:54 AM

Congrats. Free Spirit. Problem solved :thumbup: