This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Weird Behaviour

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

hey people, I have been having a few problems with my PC, and have tried everything but nothing seems to fix it! I downloaded and ran Ad-Aware, and it detected a few bits of spyware/malware but after removing them, I still have the same problem. I also tried AVG but it scans and reports no infection.

I have windows XP Professional with SP1 installed and all critical updates.

Sometimes when the system is loading WinXP (the black screen with the logo and blue progress bar) the screen goes blank (usually would follow with welcome and then the GUI would appear) and the whole system resets. This then loops and Windows won't load! Then I start in safe mode after pressing F8, it loads fine into safe mode. After this I can restart the system and it will load into normal windows fine! It seems to load fine sometimes, other times this reboot loop will occur, very irritating :angry:.

The other problem involves my start menu. I have the winXP start panel enabled, with the "all programs" menu containing all the start menu folders and progs etc. But when I click all programs it doesn't open anything at all, and when I go to the "connect to" or "my computer" menus it doesn't open another menu, instead opens an explorer window with the contents in it. Also windows Explorer doesn't have any menus, like File, Edit, Help etc. just the internet explorer animated windows logo stretching the entire length of the window.

Anyhow, I have tried for a few weeks to look for a fix on the web and usenet groups but nothing seems to work. I stumbled accross Hijack This! on the cover CD of a magazine I buy (Atomic) and decided to see if anyone can help. Here is the contents of the log file that I exported, according to the instructions:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 7:08:52 PM, on 22/08/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\MultiRes\MultiRes.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\AudioHQ\AHQTB.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Stardock\TrayServer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Shutdown Timer\Shutdown.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = proxy.jc.com.au:8080
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = jc.com.au;aust.com;192.168.100.1;
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MultiRes] C:\Program Files\MultiRes\MultiRes.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft QMGR] msnqmgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudioHQ] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\AudioHQ\AHQTB.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [1A:Stardock TrayMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Stardock\TrayServer.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Inet Xp..] teekids.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft QMGR] msnqmgr.exe
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Shutdown Timer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Shutdown Timer\Shutdown.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: explorer.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O16 - DPF: {54B52E52-8000-4413-BD67-FC7FE24B59F2} (EARTPatchX Class) - http://simcity.ea.com/update/EARTPX.cab
O16 - DPF: {C36661D7-3590-45B1-80B5-520839E94DAD} (MaxisSimCity4PatcherX Control) - http://simcity.ea.com/update/MaxisSimCity4PatcherX.cab
O16 - DPF: {D719897A-B07A-4C0C-AEA9-9B663A28DFCB} (iTunesDetector Class) - http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/d…/ITDetector.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{ACD28604-D060-42D6-A074-F2C18ABB3948}: NameServer = 203.2.193.124 203.2.192.124


Any help would be HUGELY appreciated :D

BTW. I dont use IE or Outlook, I use Mozilla progs, so I don't install the updates from Windows update. could this be the problem?
Greetings and welcome to TomCoyote.org!

You have a few infections on your machine:

This:
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft QMGR] msnqmgr.exe

Is this:

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojircbots.html

This:
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Inet Xp..] teekids.exe

Is this:

http://www.pchell.com/virus/msblast.shtml

So let's start with some free online virus scanning/removing tools.

Please try these free online virus scans of your system:

Trend-Micro:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Panda:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

Etrust:
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx

Choose fix or clean.

Let them remove any infections found. Reboot inbetween each scan.

After the last scan, reboot and post a new log file in this thread, and we'll see what's left that needs our attention. :)
Thanks for your help! I ran the Trend Micro Online scanner and it detected and removed MS Blaster. However the trojan

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft QMGR] msnqmgr.exe

seems to still be there, the scanner didn't detect it. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, because the virus scanner I currently have installed (AVG Free Edition) didn't detect either of these is it useless? I update the definitions quite regularly.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 9:19:18 AM, on 23/08/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\AudioHQ\AHQTB.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
C:\Program Files\MultiRes\MultiRes.exe
C:\Program Files\Shutdown Timer\Shutdown.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = proxy.jc.com.au:8080
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = jc.com.au;aust.com;192.168.100.1;
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft QMGR] msnqmgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudioHQ] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\AudioHQ\AHQTB.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MultiRes] C:\Program Files\MultiRes\MultiRes.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft QMGR] msnqmgr.exe
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Shutdown Timer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Shutdown Timer\Shutdown.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: explorer.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O16 - DPF: {54B52E52-8000-4413-BD67-FC7FE24B59F2} (EARTPatchX Class) - http://simcity.ea.com/update/EARTPX.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {C36661D7-3590-45B1-80B5-520839E94DAD} (MaxisSimCity4PatcherX Control) - http://simcity.ea.com/update/MaxisSimCity4PatcherX.cab
O16 - DPF: {D719897A-B07A-4C0C-AEA9-9B663A28DFCB} (iTunesDetector Class) - http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/d…/ITDetector.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{ACD28604-D060-42D6-A074-F2C18ABB3948}: NameServer = 203.2.193.124 203.2.192.124
Well… almost every log I see that has a virus or worm, also has some sort of AV software running.

I've never figured out exactly how they get in there.

Personally, I have Norton AV and Internet Security 2004 and have never been infected with a virus.

I did get a CoolWebSearch browser infection back in Feb.

That's how I got involved in the Malware War.

We can get that last "bug" with Hijack This!

CLOSE ALL WINDOWS (even this one) AND PROGRAMS!!!!

Run Hijack This! and fix these items:

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft QMGR] msnqmgr.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft QMGR] msnqmgr.exe


Reboot in "safe" mode. Use the link in my signature to tell you how if necessary.

Find and delete:

msnqmgr.exe <— file
(Use windows explorer to find)

Some malware files may be "hidden". Use the link in my signature to explain how to show "hidden" files if necessary.

Reboot in normal mode and post a new log file. :)
hey I followed your instructions, but when I booted to safe mode and tried to search, it couldn't find any results. I did however look up stuff about it on google, and followed some instrucions to completely remove MS messenger, which seems to cause alot of problems for alot of people! Anyhow I have fixed the entries that came up in HiJack This! Anything else? Here is the new log file that comes up:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 2:57:00 PM, on 23/08/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\AudioHQ\AHQTB.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
C:\Program Files\MultiRes\MultiRes.exe
C:\Program Files\Shutdown Timer\Shutdown.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\notepad.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = proxy.jc.com.au:8080
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = jc.com.au;aust.com;192.168.100.1;
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudioHQ] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\AudioHQ\AHQTB.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MultiRes] C:\Program Files\MultiRes\MultiRes.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Shutdown Timer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Shutdown Timer\Shutdown.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: explorer.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O16 - DPF: {54B52E52-8000-4413-BD67-FC7FE24B59F2} (EARTPatchX Class) - http://simcity.ea.com/update/EARTPX.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {C36661D7-3590-45B1-80B5-520839E94DAD} (MaxisSimCity4PatcherX Control) - http://simcity.ea.com/update/MaxisSimCity4PatcherX.cab
O16 - DPF: {D719897A-B07A-4C0C-AEA9-9B663A28DFCB} (iTunesDetector Class) - http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/d…/ITDetector.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{ACD28604-D060-42D6-A074-F2C18ABB3948}: NameServer = 203.2.193.124 203.2.192.124

PS. Thanks for all your halp so far!! :P
The log is clean now!!!! :thumbup:

GOD bless!!!

M68 :)

Items you may wish to consider to harden your defenses against future infections:

Read "How did I get infected in the first place?" here:

http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957

Download IE-Spyad here:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

IE-Spyad puts over 4000 known malicious web sites into IE's "restricted zone" to help prevent you from getting infected.

Check your browser settings here:

http://browsercheck.qualys.com/index.php

A series of "tests" (and suggested fixes) to help tweak IE's settings to help prevent infections when surfing the web.

Follow safe Internet practices:

1. Keep your virus definitions up to date, and scan your system regularly.

2. Don't open email, or download attachments from unrecognized email addresses.

3. Be careful when downloading email attachments, EVEN FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW! Many virii, worms, and trojans infect a persons system then immeadiately spread themselves to the people in the infected persons addressbook via email attachments.

4. Be careful downloading files from the Internet. Scan all downloaded files with a reliable UP-TO-DATE antivirus program. Scan "zip" files BEFORE unzipping, and scan all unzipped files BEFORE USING THEM.

5. Keep your Windows and IE current with all the latest patches and updates.
(Personally, I am waiting until the bugs are out of SP2 for XP before I upgrade)

Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI