This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved]Mywebsearch

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been having a lot of issues lately. I keep thinking that I got the issue resolved. Then it comes back. I used Spybot S&D, it removed all but MyWebSearch. I ran Hijackthis and here is my log. I am a whole lot concerned about all the missing files that I see. Can you please help me understand this log and clean up my computer once and for all. thank you beyedg

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:26:19 PM, on 7/26/2007
Platform: Windows 2003 SP2 (WinNT 5.02.3790)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16473)

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\PROGRA~2\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Cordless USB Phone\Vtech Cordless Phone Suite.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\AOL\Active Security Monitor\ASMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\D-Link\AirPlus G\AirGCFG.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe
C:\PROGRA~2\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\m3SrchMn.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSN Messenger\usnsvc.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Karen\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://microsoft.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://spaces.live.com/?mkt=en-ca&page…=paint%20horses
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~2\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime -Delay
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ASM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\AOL\Active Security Monitor\ASMonitor.exe" HIDEMAIN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [D-Link AirPlus G] "C:\Program Files (x86)\D-Link\AirPlus G\AirGCFG.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ANIWZCS2Service] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [My Web Search Bar Search Scope Monitor] "C:\PROGRA~2\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\m3SrchMn.exe" /m=2 /w
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] C:\PROGRA~2\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoemon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] C:\PROGRA~2\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoemon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: usb7100 Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\Cordless USB Phone\Vtech Cordless Phone Suite.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://edits.mywebsearch.com/toolbaredits/…html?p=ZNfox000
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1170685575546
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (MSN Games - Installer) - http://cdn2.zone.msn.com/binFramework/v10/…ro.cab56649.cab
O16 - DPF: {C3F79A2B-B9B4-4A66-B012-3EE46475B072} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/Messe…nt.cab56907.cab
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~2\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~2\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: dimsntfy - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dimsntfy.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: EFS - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\sclgntfy.dll
O23 - Service: ANIWZCSd Service (ANIWZCSdService) - Alpha Networks Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\ANIWZCSdS.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2saag.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\dmadmin.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Event Log (Eventlog) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: HTTP SSL (HTTPFilter) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: IIS Admin Service (IISADMIN) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service (ImapiService) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\imapi.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Net Logon (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NT LM Security Support Provider (NtLmSsp) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Plug and Play (PlugPlay) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: IPSEC Services (PolicyAgent) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Protected Storage (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Remote Desktop Help Session Manager (RDSessMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\sessmgr.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Security Accounts Manager (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Virtual Disk Service (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: WMI Performance Adapter (WmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe (file missing)
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Important: Do this before any fix.

Please put your HijackThis in it's own folder, (I create a new folder in C:\ named HJT).
You can do a Right Click on any open area on the desktop, New> Folder, then rename the folder HJT.

Go to where your HijackThis is and Right Click on HijackThis.exe, select Cut, then open the new folder you just created (HJT) Right Click in the folder and select paste.

The reason we do this is Hijackthis creates backup files just in case you'd need to restore one and we'll be cleaning out the temp files.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:45:07 AM, on 8/10/2007
Platform: Windows 2003 SP2 (WinNT 5.02.3790)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16473)

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~2\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files (x86)\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu…b?1185667341250
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files (x86)\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: dimsntfy - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dimsntfy.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: EFS - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\sclgntfy.dll
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\dmadmin.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Event Log (Eventlog) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: HTTP SSL (HTTPFilter) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service (ImapiService) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\imapi.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Net Logon (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NT LM Security Support Provider (NtLmSsp) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Plug and Play (PlugPlay) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: IPSEC Services (PolicyAgent) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Protected Storage (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Remote Desktop Help Session Manager (RDSessMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\sessmgr.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Security Accounts Manager (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Virtual Disk Service (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: WMI Performance Adapter (WmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe (file missing)

I have created a folder in C: of this log file. I already tried to post a log file but, apparently version 2.0 is not supported here. So, I downloaded this version and here is the log.

I have no idea if you received another post almost identical to this one or not. Sorry if I am repeating but, I got an error about the version of hijack the last time.

Anyway, since I first posted my log, my computer became unusable. A friend of mine ran my Windows disc and restored use again. But, there were no programs listed in Add/Remove anymore, even though they were still in Program Files (x86). I then added some ATI display drivers, Adobe Reader 8.1.0, EI7, Mozilla (2.0.0.6), Windows Service Pack2 and, was prompted to add Adobe Flash Player 9 ActiveX. They are now in my Add/Remove prgms along with MSXML 6.0 Parser and Microsoft Visual C++2005 Redistributable. I do not know where those last two came from. This are all the items found in Add/Remove.

Security Icons on my desktop did not work so, I deleted them. I tried to download them again but, they would not open from the desktop. Error said something like "the file did not exist so, I deleted them again. I then went to Program File (x86) and moved Hijackthis, avast, SE Personal to the desktop and, they then worked. I don't understand why this happened.

The programs in Program Files (x86) are: ANI, AOL, ASUS, ATI Technologies, Common Files, Cordless USB Phone, Daemon Tools, Divx, D-Link, Hijackthis, InstallShield Installation Information(greyed), Internet Explorer, Java, Lavasoft, Microsoft Office (uninstalled), microsoft shared, Movie Maker, Mozilla Firefox, MSBuild, MSN, MSN Gaming Zone, MSN Messenger, MSXML6.0, MTV Networks, My Company Name, NetMeeting, Outlook Express, QuickTime, Reference Assemblies, speechengines, Spybot-Search & Destroy, SUPERAntiSpyware, system, Unistall Information(greyed), uTorrent, Winamp, Windows Media Player, Windows NT, WinRAR, Zenographics(greyed), and RngInterstitial.dll. I removed a few things from here, like Skype. But, I still find skype wallpapers and such in another folder.

Has this issue gone too far?
I would like to thank you for taking the time to look this over and, will look forward to a reply. I will check the site daily, if my computer is willing. lol
This link will tell you it's the 64bit / 32bit issues.

http://blogs.msdn.com/freik/archive/2004/11/05/252974.aspx


Run hijackthis. Hit None of the above, Click Do a System Scan Only. Put a Check in the box on the left side on these:

F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit

Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"


Reboot and "copy/paste" a new HijackThis log file into this thread.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:32:17 PM, on 8/11/2007
Platform: Windows 2003 SP2 (WinNT 5.02.3790)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16473)

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~2\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files (x86)\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu…b?1185667341250
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files (x86)\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: dimsntfy - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dimsntfy.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: EFS - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\sclgntfy.dll
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\dmadmin.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Event Log (Eventlog) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: HTTP SSL (HTTPFilter) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service (ImapiService) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\imapi.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Net Logon (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NT LM Security Support Provider (NtLmSsp) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Plug and Play (PlugPlay) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: IPSEC Services (PolicyAgent) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Protected Storage (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Remote Desktop Help Session Manager (RDSessMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\sessmgr.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Security Accounts Manager (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Virtual Disk Service (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: WMI Performance Adapter (WmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe (file missing)

I am running XP64bit: I did run Super Anti Spyware before this log posting. It did find a few minor objects, cookies. My computer seems to be running pretty good right now. If you don't mind, I would like to pose a few of quick questions.
1) Why are my programs no longer listed in Add/Remove? They are in the x86 folder.
2)If I wanted to delete a program, does it completely delete from there?
3)In the registry, under Domains, there is a very long list of sites that, to me, are obvious sex and porno sites. Why are these sites in there? I am the only user of this computer. MyWebSearch is also in there.
4)Above there are a lot of "file missing" beside "023" Why is this? Has it got something to do with running XP64bit. I see that they are listed system32.

I am searching these questions and have not come up with anything that give me clear direction on this. I have read some that say they should be deleted and other that say it has something to do with Hijackthis and 64bit.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to look at this. I spend so much time researching, It is nice to know there are people out there ready and willing to help out when it gets too confusing. I guess that I should have rebooted twice to make sure all is well. Well, I guess I will do that now. Cheers!!

1) Why are my programs no longer listed in Add/Remove? They are in the x86 folder.
2)If I wanted to delete a program, does it completely delete from there?
3)In the registry, under Domains, there is a very long list of sites that, to me, are obvious sex and porno sites. Why are these sites in there? I am the only user of this computer. MyWebSearch is also in there.
4)Above there are a lot of "file missing" beside "023" Why is this? Has it got something to do with running XP64bit. I see that they are listed system32.

1. Did you read that link i posted?
You're running in 64 bit mode. 32 bit programs won't show unless you switch to 32 bit mode.

2. From the CMD you need to run: '%windir%\syswow64\cmd.exe' . Then look in add/remove.

3. Download THIS file to your desktop.

Right-click on the deldomains.inf file and select 'Install'

Once it is finished your Zones should be reset.

4. Those aren't really missing. HJT doesn't always show the 023 services.
Hi there, again. I did read the link. I just didn't understand much of it. I have read it again, a few times while researching it a bit. I have a better understanding now. Thank you. So, I did what you asked:'%windir%\syswow64\cmd.exe', and there is no change in Add/Remove. I even rebooted. Still, there is not change in there. I also installed the deldomains.inf and, I am happy to say that the zones are okay now. I know that you must be busy. You answered the last post so fast that I will wait a little, to see if you replay. No Rush. I can check back in tomorrow evening, after work. Have yourself a great weekend beyedg
After doing the below:

I suggest you go over to our Other Computer Problems and post a topic there explaining the issues you're having.

Also let them know your HijackThis log has been cleaned.

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/Other_Computer_Problems_f83.html


You can remove any programs / Tools I had you install. Use Add/Remove Programs to remove if listed there otherwise just delete them and empty recycle bin.

Log looks good :D


You need to create a new Clean restore point.

Note: This will remove all previous Restore Points

Turn off System Restore:

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Restart your computer, turn it back on.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Remove the Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Check "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, Uncheck "Show hidden files and folders."
Check "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.
  • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week
    (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

  • Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer.
    Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over.
    I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients.
    Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

    For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

    Understanding and Using Firewalls

  • Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly.
    This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.
    If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site
    until there are no more critical updates.

  • Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option.
    This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection.
    You should also scan your computer with this program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

  • Install Ad-Aware - Download and install Ad-Aware.
    You should also scan your computer with this program on a regular basis
    just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer

  • Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer
    settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

  • IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.

    Using IE-SPYAD to help block unwanted sites and activities

  • Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly.
    Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Only run one Anti-Virus and Firewall program.

I would also suggest you read this:
So how did I get infected in the first place?
by Tony Klein
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI