This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Just In Case

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, good folks,

I'm no newbie to computers or the registry and am pretty paranoid about computer security, but I still managed to download some malware (probably because I was letting others use my computer, but I digress). I THINK I managed to get rid of most it through Ad-Aware, SpyBot, manually checking services.msc, regedit, etc., but I'm not sure I got everything. My HijackThis log shows some entries on which I can find no information. Can someone please check it and see if there's anything in there I still need to delete?

Thanks in advance.

Here's the logfile:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:51:43 AM, on 3/23/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\mgabg.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\slserv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Alpha Networks\ANIWZCS Service\WZCSLDR.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\1st Security Agent\newadmin.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\wldtrmgr.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\symntui.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Webshots\webshots.scr
C:\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mail.yahoo.com/?.intl=us
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.worldnet.att.net/ie4/search/index.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mail.yahoo.com/?.intl=us
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Paul Masters
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINNT\system32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ANIWZCSService] C:\Program Files\Alpha Networks\ANIWZCS Service\WZCSLDR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00saskda] "C:\Program Files\1st Security Agent\newadmin.exe" saskda
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [r77R36R] wldtrmgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [awo5RWd4j] symntui.exe
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
O16 - DPF: {15AD6789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6} - http://static.windupdates.com/cab/6247971C…e/bridge-c9.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=36467&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {8EDAD21C-3584-4E66-A8AB-EB0E5584767D} - http://toolbar.google.com/data/GoogleActivate.cab
O16 - DPF: {99B6E512-3893-4155-9964-8EB8E06099CB} (WebSpyWareKiller Class) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotion…ctor/WebSWK.cab
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: MGABGEXE - Matrox Graphics Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\mgabg.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
Hi Paul, Welcome to TomCoyote forum. We must start with the fact you are running two Antivirus programs. AVG is a great free program, but having it running at the same time as Symantec will cause conflictions that will make you less safe then if you run one good program and maintain it properly. You may turn one of them off if you wish, but you should NOT run them at the same time.

Since you know your way around your computer, I will be a little more candid. First I will say you have some stuff on here I have never seen and I had to look it up. I will give you the links I use to check items, but will also say that Google is a vip tool.
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
http://computercops.biz/StartupList.html
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

Google tells me that it has no information about these next two items. We call that random named trojans, suggest to the user that they remove them unless they know what they are. The next two items are such, and if you are not sure, look at the properties. I will schedule removal in the meantime. If you can identify them as valid, then by all means let me know what they are for our databases.
C:\WINNT\system32\wldtrmgr.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\symntui.exe

The next two R0 lines keep setting off CoolWebSearch indicators, but after using CWShredder often it appears they are just clutter, and I will remove them. Now this item: Blazefind Windupdates Adware is a nasty ActiveX that should never have gotten on your computer if your ActiveX controls are set right. I will jump ahead and give you information from Grinler to help you tighten up in this area: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html

Please download this utility and put it where you know where it is at, I will let you know when to run it. http://www.ccleaner.com/

Open your Task Manager and end task on these two items:
C:\WINNT\system32\wldtrmgr.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\symntui.exe

Scan with HijackThis and put a check in the box in front of each line item:

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [r77R36R] wldtrmgr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [awo5RWd4j] symntui.exe
O16 - DPF: {15AD6789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6} - http://static.windupdates.com/cab/6247971C…e/bridge-c9.cab
-Blazefind Windupdates Adware

Close all programs but HJT and all browser windows then click on "Fix Checked"

SHOW HIDDEN FILES: Follow the instructions in the follow link to enable hidden files for your operating system.
You may wish to reverse this process if you have any concern about anyone getting into these hidden system files.
http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html

RIGHT click on Start then click on Explore, locate and delete these files:

C:\WINNT\system32\wldtrmgr.exe >>> file

C:\WINNT\system32\symntui.exe >>> file

Run CCleaner

Empty the recycle bin and restart the computer. Stay in this thread, post a new log along with any feedback you think I should have.

Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Slyware Warrior
Dear pskelley,

Thanks for your reply.

I thought I had AVG turned off, but apparently not. Anyway, I uninstalled Norton and am running AVG exclusively.

I followed your instructions, and THINK I've got it all… no pop-ups are appearing since the reboot.

The only problem I encountered is following the instructions to set my ActiveX controls: In IE/Tools/Internet Options/Security, my "Custom Level" button is dimmed. I am Adminstrator, so I should be able to restore this setting, if I knew where to look! I'm sure there's an msc somewhere to fix that. I have Advanced System Optimizer and 1st Security Agent installed. Perhaps one of those can help?

Anyway, here's the HJT log after repairs and reboot - in other words, as my computer stands right now:

*****
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:17:20 AM, on 3/26/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\mgabg.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\slserv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Alpha Networks\ANIWZCS Service\WZCSLDR.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\1st Security Agent\newadmin.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Webshots\webshots.scr
D:\Security Programs\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =

http://mail.yahoo.com/?.intl=us
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =

http://www.worldnet.att.net/ie4/search/index.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =

http://mail.yahoo.com/?.intl=us
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Brought to you by Paul

Masters
O2 - BHO: PynixObj Class - {00000000-DD60-0064-6EC2-6E0100000000} - C:\WINNT\Pynix.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program

Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} -

C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program

files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program

files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINNT\system32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator

5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ANIWZCSService] C:\Program Files\Alpha Networks\ANIWZCS

Service\WZCSLDR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00saskda] "C:\Program Files\1st Security Agent\newadmin.exe" saskda
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common

Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program

Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program

Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program

Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program

Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program

Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program

Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} -

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation

Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=36467&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) -

http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {8EDAD21C-3584-4E66-A8AB-EB0E5584767D} -

http://toolbar.google.com/data/GoogleActivate.cab
O16 - DPF: {99B6E512-3893-4155-9964-8EB8E06099CB} (WebSpyWareKiller Class) -

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotion…ctor/WebSWK.cab
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe

Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. -

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. -

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software

Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: MGABGEXE - Matrox Graphics Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\mgabg.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common

Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC -

C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

*****
Anything else you see in here that needs tending?

Thanks again!!
Oops… spoke too soon. Still have pop-ups - Search Rabbit and others. Interesting: apparently the pop-up blocker in the Google Toolbar has stopped working.

I TOLD them not to install the Freeze.com screensaver. "It's so pretty," they said. "Please?" "NO," I said. Then they installed it behind my back. :rant2: I don't even want to think about the spam I'm gonna get now.

Kids. Now I know why some species eat their young.

Thanks in advance again.

Paul
OK Paul, I am sure you know you are going to have to take control of the computer unless you constantly wish to fight this junk. No longer is it just run the Spybot and fix it, these malware writers are very sophisticated, much more so then most of the folks trying to remove the stuff, and they are paid a heck of a lot better. :huh: I can also tell you that screensavers downloaded from the internet are one of the fastest ways to download an infection. I also need to ask if you are doing anything to cause the spacing in your recent log? If the log is spaced like that it is much more difficult for me to work with it. Thanks.

The only problem I encountered is following the instructions to set my ActiveX controls: In IE/Tools/Internet Options/Security, my "Custom Level" button is dimmed. I am Adminstrator, so I should be able to restore this setting, if I knew where to look!

You have three restrictions set in your log, I suggest you remove them and you can reset them at a later time if you wish.
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions present
This may fix the issue?

Paul, you do have a new one and it is nasty:
O2 - BHO: PynixObj Class - {00000000-DD60-0064-6EC2-6E0100000000} - C:\WINNT\Pynix.dll
What it is: http://castlecops.com/clsid-1712.html
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/Transponder.html
Please read the above information as this is a dangerous item and you must figure out how to stop stuff like this from being downloaded to the computer. This download occured between the first and second log. In the very least, I must ask that nothing be downloaded during this process unless I ask for it. Thanks.

I wish to give you a little information about this item which is valid but the information may help you:
C:\Program Files\Alpha Networks\ANIWZCS Service\WZCSLDR.exe
http://castlecops.com/startuplist-4681.html

Microsoft AntiSpyware may try to stop the HJT fix, if so you must turn it off, don't forget to turn it back on when you are finished.
To disable the program, follow the instructions below:
1.) Right click on the Microsoft Antispyware tray icon (a little red and yellow circle looking thing)
2.) Click on Security Agents Status (Enabled)
3.) Click on Disable Real-time Protection.

Scan with HJT and check these lines:

(The following link is not opening well, you may leave it if you wish)
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =
http://www.worldnet.att.net/ie4/search/index.html
O2 - BHO: PynixObj Class - {00000000-DD60-0064-6EC2-6E0100000000} - C:\WINNT\Pynix.dll
Transponder parasite variant
(next three were discussed above)
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions present

Close all programs but HJT and all browser windows then click on "Fix Checked"

Here is information for you: http://www.onecomputerguy.com/ie_tips.htm

Post a new log. I can tell you it is just a matter of time before something that can't be repaired gets on the computer. I can also see that the Norton uninstaller did not remove the software from the services. You may want to call them to find out how to do this. I can give you this information, but I have not used it yet: http://www.z123.org/techsupport/xpservices.htm

Thanks…pskelley
I turned off the 06 "…Restrictions present" items, but they reappeared at reboot. Don't know what's up with that.

Speaking of services, do you know Black Viper's site? He lists all of the services that appear at services.msc and whether they're safe to turn off or not. Check it out if you want: http://www.blackviper.com

Anyway… here's the new HJT logfile:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:01:06 AM, on 3/26/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\mgabg.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\slserv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Alpha Networks\ANIWZCS Service\WZCSLDR.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\1st Security Agent\newadmin.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Webshots\webshots.scr
D:\Security Programs\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mail.yahoo.com/?.intl=us
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.worldnet.att.net/ie4/search/index.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mail.yahoo.com/?.intl=us
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Brought to you by Paul Masters
O2 - BHO: PynixObj Class - {00000000-DD60-0064-6EC2-6E0100000000} - C:\WINNT\Pynix.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINNT\system32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ANIWZCSService] C:\Program Files\Alpha Networks\ANIWZCS Service\WZCSLDR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00saskda] "C:\Program Files\1st Security Agent\newadmin.exe" saskda
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=36467&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {8EDAD21C-3584-4E66-A8AB-EB0E5584767D} - http://toolbar.google.com/data/GoogleActivate.cab
O16 - DPF: {99B6E512-3893-4155-9964-8EB8E06099CB} (WebSpyWareKiller Class) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotion…ctor/WebSWK.cab
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: MGABGEXE - Matrox Graphics Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\mgabg.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
Hey Paul, You have me scratching my head. Thanks, I have that BlackViper website onfile. In fact I have so much information filed if I live another lifetime I will not be able to view it all…lol

If you know those restrictions are still there then you would have to know that the really bad item is also still there:

O2 - BHO: PynixObj Class - {00000000-DD60-0064-6EC2-6E0100000000} - C:\WINNT\Pynix.dll

If you followed directions and checked these items for removal then something is stopping the fix? Did you turn off Microsoft AntiSpyware? I see no TeaTimer or anything else that will stop changes. Are you getting any messages from any programs asking if you if you want to allow the changes. We must get that bad BHO off the computer. Let's do this in Safe Mode. Follow the instruction for your operating system in this link to take your computer into safe mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind…torial=61#winxo

Once there scan with HJT and check these items:

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =
http://www.worldnet.att.net/ie4/search/index.html
O2 - BHO: PynixObj Class - {00000000-DD60-0064-6EC2-6E0100000000} - C:\WINNT\Pynix.dll
Transponder parasite variant
(next three were discussed above)
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions present

Click on "Fix Checked", then CCleaner again. Post a new log.

pskelley
Hi again

I think the nasty one is gone now. Not knowing if HJT gives different results if run in safe mode vs. normal (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, no?), I'm posting logfiles from the scans I ran in each mode.

Still don't know what's causing the Restrictions. I'm gonna turn off my suspect Startup items in msconfig one by one until I find it… or unless you tell me not to.

Anyway, here are the logs:

Safe mode:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:37:01 AM, on 3/26/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
D:\Security Programs\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.worldnet.att.net/ie4/search/index.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mail.yahoo.com/?.intl=us
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mail.yahoo.com/?.intl=us
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Brought to you by Paul Masters
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINNT\system32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ANIWZCSService] C:\Program Files\Alpha Networks\ANIWZCS Service\WZCSLDR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00saskda] "C:\Program Files\1st Security Agent\newadmin.exe" saskda
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [MicrosoftAntiSpywareCleaner] C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcASCleaner.exe
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=36467&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {8EDAD21C-3584-4E66-A8AB-EB0E5584767D} - http://toolbar.google.com/data/GoogleActivate.cab
O16 - DPF: {99B6E512-3893-4155-9964-8EB8E06099CB} (WebSpyWareKiller Class) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotion…ctor/WebSWK.cab
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: MGABGEXE - Matrox Graphics Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\mgabg.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

*****

Normal mode:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:47:52 AM, on 3/26/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\mgabg.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\slserv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Alpha Networks\ANIWZCS Service\WZCSLDR.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\1st Security Agent\newadmin.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Webshots\webshots.scr
D:\Security Programs\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.worldnet.att.net/ie4/search/index.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mail.yahoo.com/?.intl=us
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mail.yahoo.com/?.intl=us
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Brought to you by Paul Masters
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINNT\system32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ANIWZCSService] C:\Program Files\Alpha Networks\ANIWZCS Service\WZCSLDR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00saskda] "C:\Program Files\1st Security Agent\newadmin.exe" saskda
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=36467&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {8EDAD21C-3584-4E66-A8AB-EB0E5584767D} - http://toolbar.google.com/data/GoogleActivate.cab
O16 - DPF: {99B6E512-3893-4155-9964-8EB8E06099CB} (WebSpyWareKiller Class) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotion…ctor/WebSWK.cab
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: MGABGEXE - Matrox Graphics Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\mgabg.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs LLC - C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
Hi Paul, Yes bad the item that was downloaded between logs appears to be gone, I am still concerned about a couple of lines in your Normal Mode log. When you are in safe mode just use the scan function, and don't bother creating a log. Look at the early lines, I know it is hard until you get used to seeing the logs, this stuff sticks out to me.

This is still there: R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.worldnet.att.net/ie4/search/index.html Do you have any idea where that is supposed to direct you to. Does not function when I click on the link.

These two items have returned, are they something you are using:
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm

Take a look at IE > Tools > Internet Options > General Tab and see what you have set for your homepage. Then while in the area look under the Programs tab. Make sure there is a check in the box for default browser and click on the Reset Web Settings then go back to the General Tab and make sure the same homepage is set, if not change it back to the one you want. Remember to apply and ok as required for the changes to occur. Then close the browser.

Now open Spybot Search and Destroy. Under the Mode button at the top, choose Advanced Mode. Now choose Tools bottom left. I suggest when time permits you get familiar with these tools as they will do much to keep your computer safe, but for now we are interested in the IE Tweeks icon, Check to see if anything in these settings could be keeping you from changing restrictions. I use SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster to do this and I have none of these boxes checked but if you have items locked here that may be the reason. Now look to the left and click on the Resident Icon. There are two boxes, I use the top one that stops all bad downloads and you should have this checked, when you finish and you are clean, you need to come back here and check the other box to activate your TeaTimer. If you have not done so, make sure you view the tutorials so you understand what TT does for you. Now click on Mode again, and return it to Default, so the kids won't wonder into this area if they have not already done so.

Don't forget to turn of programs that will prevent the fix.

Please try one more time in the safe mode to remove these lines, enter safe mode then open HJT and click on SCAN. Put a check in front of these lines:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.worldnet.att.net/ie4/search/index.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery\Blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Brought to you by Paul Masters
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions present

Click on "Fix Checked" Reboot back to Normal mode and scan and save a logfile for you to look at. Sometimes hard to remove stuff requires several passes to remove it.

CCleaner…make sure you view the tutorial and help information. Make sure you look under all three tabs or the cleanup will not be complete.

I believe what we are doing is mostly cosmetic, I don't think anything I am trying to clear from your computer is malware. I just don't like clutter. I am going to give you the All Clean information now so you can start to benefit from the knowledge these experts have. I will not give you Grinler's link again, as I gave that to you earlier.
Here is some great information from Tony Klein, Texruss, and ChrisRLG to help you stay clean and safe online:
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051
http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14

If your computer is running well now, unless you wish to continue, there is no need to post another log. It is your option.

Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Slyware Warrior
If you get help here consider a donation:
http://tomcoyote.com/donate.php
If you are reading this information…thank a teacher, If you are reading it in English…thank a soldier.
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI