This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Four-pin Molex

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently installed a new video card to my computer, but in order for it to receive enough power I need to plug in a four-pin molex. There are several in my computer, but the only not used one won't reach. The Nvidia website says to take a used one, but I can't get any to come out! This leaves me with two questions. How do I unplug a four-pin molex, and if I do, what might I be unplugging? The only things they are plugged into are components that were already in the computer. Are these just placeholders?
Some brand-name machines, notably HP/Compaq, include only enough power supply connectors to handle the original equipment, and maybe one extra, near the Hard Drive in case the owner/user decides to add another Hard Drive. If the existing power supply connectors are already "plugged in", they are supplying power to a necessary component of the machine. When "extra" power supply connectors are included they are generally wrapped tightly to the other power wires and the end molex connector is left un-attached. Sometimes the manufacturer places a rubber insulating cap over the end of the molex. There is no such thing as "Placeholder" connections. I have no clue what you would be disconnecting from power supply if you unplugged an existing power supply connector. You would be the best person to identify that, by looking at the component it is attached to. They are generally used to power Hard Drive, Optical Drives, Floppy Drives, Video Cards, and occasionally a Fan. Molex connectors can be "stubborn". I generally put one finger and my thumb on opposite sides of the connector and gently pull with a rocking motion side-to-side, careful to not put too much sideways tension on the connector or the component it is attached to. Never use the wires to pull on the plug. Always grasp the plug itself to apply pull/pressure to remove the plug. Best Regards
All right, thanks… Calls to Best Buy and Circuit City show neither of them carry the extensions, do you know of any other stores where I could buy one?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI