This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Desperate

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have just started having problems, im guessing with my hard drive. Sometimes when I restart my computer windows wont load it tells me operateing system not found. I tried to format it hoping to fix the problem but it wouldn't let me it said I didn't have a hard drive installed. I finally got it where it would come on but when it first comes on I have to hit the F2 key to get it to load windows. I am getting an error message about my floppy drive and I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on what is causing the problems and how I could fix them. I am disabled and my computer is my life, I know that sounds crazy but it's true.
Hi kharley, Welcome to TomCoyote Forums. Many people feel strongly about their computers and find a great deal of learning, satisfaction, and even building of valued relationships from their computing and internet activities. Some folks like to work cross-word puzzles, others read books or magazines extensively, others watch television, and many of us find that computing can be a rewarding investment of our energies. :) As to the development of your present difficulties. Drives do wear out. Software, including the Windows Operating System can become corrupted. Connector inside of the computer tower can become loosened and unseated. Installing of new applications, and/or updating of applications or the Windows OS can sometimes cause file corruption that leads to the kind of difficulty you describe. Drivers for hardware and peripheral devices may become faulty and need to be reinstalled. __________ You may find that you can clear up the problem with a little investigation and repair work. In order for us to help effectively, we'll need as much additional specific information as you are able to supply. Often, with this kind of problem the user experiences a Blue Screen upon which Microsoft displays a specific Error or Stop Error Code. Please supply that information if it is displayed. _________ Check in your Device Manager for any warnings (yellow or red signs) associated with the Floppy Drive or the Hard Drive or the IDE Controllers. If warnings do exist, Remove the item (via right-click - remove) and then Reboot your machine so Windows can "Find new hardware" and "install software/driver for new hardware". _________ It may be that the "file structure" of your Hard Drive has become compromised. File Structure problems may be remedies using the CHECKDISK utility. Start - Run -(type)chkdsk /f /r - Enter <– notice the required space before both "/" You will receive a message prompting you to allow the machine to Reboot before it can run chkdsk /f /r. Type "Y" to indicate "yes" and then Reboot. You may benefit from running chkdsk /f /r a 2nd and even 3rd time until no further "bad-clusters" or files require moving, occurs. ______ After completing the chkdsk /f /r, you may benefit from running Windows File Protection System File Checker Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - Enter You will be prompted to insert your Window Operating System CD so that SFC can copy any identified missing or corrupt OS files. _______ How much FREE SPACE do you have on your Hard Drive? When Hard Drive space starts becoming limited, you may experience problems. How long has it been since you Defragged your Hard Drive? A badly fragmented Hard Drive may provoke problems. _________- Third-party software also sometimes creates conflicts which produce problems similar to what you may be experiencing. For instance, Roxio Easy CD creator (original non-updated version) may create such a problem. Please post whatever additional information you may be able to find to help narrow the focus of this problem-solving. Best Regards
I am working on the information you asked about in the post but I have one more question first if you could help, Please. I have the kaspersky anti-virus on this system but I cant seem to do certain things, some of my games wont play, one I have to use the disk to play and it refuses to load. Can you please tell me what i'm doing wrong or how to configure it so it dont interfere with my other programs, Thank you.
Kaspersky knows about games and game applications. Games and game applications know about Kaspersky. Kaspersky is not widely know for interferring with gaming activities. In fact, I can't think of any antivirus utility that interferes with gaming activity. Sometimes a Firewall will block an "online' game. But that can be managed by "allowing" the gaming connection. If gaming downloads and CD's are legitimate copies with product activation or license codes included, I doubt that Kaspersky would be interferring because of the game itself. Kaspersky may be complaining about some third-party add-on for the game. Might any of the above apply for you? Best Regards
I do know it's a legitimate copy I bought it myself, My fire wall never caused a problem before, I dont know about a third party add-on. I know that it only works if I uninstall the kasperskys I even tried disabling it so he could play his game it still wouldn't, Thanks anyway.

Hi kharley,

Welcome to TomCoyote Forums.
Many people feel strongly about their computers and find a great deal of learning, satisfaction, and even building of valued relationships from their computing and internet activities. Some folks like to work cross-word puzzles, others read books or magazines extensively, others watch television, and many of us find that computing can be a rewarding investment of our energies. :)

As to the development of your present difficulties.
Drives do wear out.
Software, including the Windows Operating System can become corrupted.
Connector inside of the computer tower can become loosened and unseated.
Installing of new applications, and/or updating of applications or the Windows OS can sometimes cause file corruption that leads to the kind of difficulty you describe.
Drivers for hardware and peripheral devices may become faulty and need to be reinstalled.
__________

You may find that you can clear up the problem with a little investigation and repair work.

In order for us to help effectively, we'll need as much additional specific information as you are able to supply.
Often, with this kind of problem the user experiences a Blue Screen upon which Microsoft displays a specific Error or Stop Error Code.
Please supply that information if it is displayed.
_________

Check in your Device Manager for any warnings (yellow or red signs) associated with the Floppy Drive or the Hard Drive or the IDE Controllers.

If warnings do exist, Remove the item (via right-click - remove) and then Reboot your machine so Windows can "Find new hardware" and "install software/driver for new hardware".
_________

It may be that the "file structure" of your Hard Drive has become compromised.
File Structure problems may be remedies using the CHECKDISK utility.
Start - Run -(type)chkdsk /f /r - Enter <– notice the required space before both "/"

You will receive a message prompting you to allow the machine to Reboot before it can run chkdsk /f /r.
Type "Y" to indicate "yes" and then Reboot.
You may benefit from running chkdsk /f /r a 2nd and even 3rd time until no further "bad-clusters" or files require moving, occurs.
______

After completing the chkdsk /f /r, you may benefit from running Windows File Protection System File Checker

Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - Enter
You will be prompted to insert your Window Operating System CD so that SFC can copy any identified missing or corrupt OS files.
_______

How much FREE SPACE do you have on your Hard Drive?
When Hard Drive space starts becoming limited, you may experience problems.

How long has it been since you Defragged your Hard Drive?
A badly fragmented Hard Drive may provoke problems.
_________-

Third-party software also sometimes creates conflicts which produce problems similar to what you may be experiencing.
For instance, Roxio Easy CD creator (original non-updated version) may create such a problem.

Please post whatever additional information you may be able to find to help narrow the focus of this problem-solving.

Best Regards

I was just wondering if maybe I would be better off just formatting my system and just starting from scratch to see if this fixed the problem, Thank you.
Before you go to all of that work…….. Run the pcpitstop full tests and post your results here to get a good overview of the machine and operating system. www.pcpitstop.com full tests is the first item in the left-hand column register with a valid email address and create a password. accept the activeX to enable your machine to run the tests. both are safe and free. best regards
Hi Kharley,

The TechExpress link appears in the list on any Results page….
[external image: Posted Image]

Highlight the entire information string, including the URL (internet address), then use copy/paste to place it into a thread here.

Example:
[external image: Posted Image]
reduce your System Restore space to 3%, or about 1000mb.

Download and Run ATF-Cleaner, here:
http://www.atribune.org/content/view/19/2/

Reduce your Browser Cache size to 80mb

Your JAVA JRE is out of date and possibly contains vulnerabilities
Use your Control Panel Add/Remove to uninstall all JAVA JRE versions presently on your machine.

To download and install the latest version of JRE, go here:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

The above may improve things. Possibly with significant improvement.

However there may be additional steps to take that will assist you further.

After doing the above, please run a fresh Full Tests and post the new TechExpress.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI