This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Macintosh Security

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Mac OSX computer. What could/should I use to protect my computer, data, and privacy? Supposedly Macs don't have viruses. I doubt that. I know for a fact that Unix machines are subject to malware. Anything I run as an administrator could change the configuration/installation of the mac, and even things I run as non-admin (i.e. not root) could permit access to reading, writing, or deleting files which are accessible to my non-su account. What do I need to do to stay safe? Is there a forum or other website I could read of mac/Darwin users who take mac security seriously? I put clamXav on my mac. But what is the equivalent of ZoneAlarm? (I really like ZoneAlarm on MS Win XP - it tells me what software on my computer is trying to "phone home" as well as block incoming snoopers). Also, what about phishing, key logging, screen thieves, etc? thank you very much Linda
Preface: I am not a Mac owner/operator.

Mac enjoys a more favorable position with regards to Security, for a variety of reasons:

Mac is a relatively secure system.
Mac makes a relatively prompt and active effort to keep the OS updated.
Mac occupies a smaller target profile due to the smaller number of Mac machines online.

Still, Mac users who use Microsoft Office and other third-party applications are vulnerable to exploits through those softwares.

And Mac users are no less vulnerable to the largest single vector for exploit…. that of Social Engineering exploit.

Additionally, Mac owner/users can themselves become a Vector for spreading Malware through forwarding email attachments to others with PC/MS systems.
______

So What to Do?

Keep your Mac OS updated!
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/security/
http://www.apple.com/support/security/
___________

to the best of my knowledge there is no AntiSpyware Utility for Mac.
Therefore you must increase your own awareness of Social Vectoring, such that you do not fall prey to phishing, and other too-good-to-be-true or dire-warning scams. Downloading and opening or worse- forwarding unknown email attachment content should always be avoided!
__________-

to the best of my knowledge there is no "realtime" protection AntiVirus features for Mac.
But there is an excellent Virus Scanning utility (you already mentioned it) clamXav
http://www.clamxav.com/
________

Keep your MS Office and/or other application softwares updated at all times.
Application software manufacturers realize their software may be vulnerable and issue updates on regular basis to insure best practice and best possible security.
___________

Read up on your Mac Operating System….. keep current.
http://www.macgeekery.com/tips/security/ba…c_os_x_security
http://www.securemac.com/macosxsecurity.php

Google is your friend for finding additional resources for Mac and Security.
Norton has some utilities for Mac Users

____________

Finally, Put your machine(s) behind a Router.

Today's modern Routers all have NAT built in hardware Firewalls and have WEP (less strong) and WPA (very strong) encryption and password access features.

Welcome to TomCoyote.
I'm glad you decided to become a Member.
And I'm glad to reply to your questions even though my experience base has a hard time rising to the occasion.

Best Regards
Doug

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI