This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Monitor.exe

28 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Uninstall Ad-aware 2007 and leave it uninstalled for the time being. you can add it back later.

Disable all of the following:

Office speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
To disable CTFmon.exe: Control Panel - Regional and Language - Language - Details - Advanced -
Place a checkmark/tick into "Turn off Advanced Text Services"

Disable the Below, via MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab)

admServ.exe Avocent Inc. C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\admServ.exe
LightScribe Hewlett-Packard Company C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
Google Update Service Google C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater … \GoogleUpdaterService.exe
GoogleToolbarNotifier Google Inc. C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier … \GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
PSIService C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSIService.exe
___________

Look inside of your CA ETRUST Antivirus Control/Options to reselect "RealTime" or background scanning. (I don't know what the term is in that companies utility, but look around to see.
_______________

If you cannot "control the volume from keyboard" how are you controlling volume?
Onscreen - TaskBar - Volume Control? Can we presume that you are getting "sound", but just can't control it from Keyboard buttons?

Have you considered Remove/Reinstall the Sound Driver via Device Manager?

A bit more information, per above questions please.

Otherwise, how is your machine performing. Pit test looks fair - good.
Hard drive needs to be Defragged.

Best Regards
Hi & thanks for the help once again

Ive removed Ad-aware and that seems to have got rid of the icon in the task bar/system tray.
When can I reinstall it.

The following wasn't listed in the msconfig startup tab:

admServ.exe Avocent Inc. C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\admServ.exe
LightScribe Hewlett-Packard Company C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
PSIService C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSIService.exe

I have seen them in msconfig at some point but they don't seem to be there now, any ideas???

If I Remove the Sound Driver where can I download a new one/the same one from to reinstall it.
In general the computer seems to be ok except for the driver being disabled all of a sudden.
I say all of a sudden as it only just came to my attention when I done a recent PcPitstop test.

P.s I Defraggmented the Hard drive thanks


Kind Regards

If I Remove the Sound Driver where can I download a new one/the same one from to reinstall it.


Best place would be the Acer Website.
Allow their search engine to guide you directly to your machine/model/driver downloads.

Please post a fresh Pit Test.

Best Regards
Follow any instructions provided by Acer. It's generally a better idea to Remove a Driver, before installing its update or replacement. Best Regards
Hi Doug Ive been to the site but I cant find any instructions on how to install the driver. Is there any precautionary measures I should take before attempting to update the driver? :unsure:
Create a new folder on C:\New Folder Rename your new Folder something like: C:\Tech Installs Use C:\Tech Installs as the location where you download the various utilities and drivers that you periodically may use. Download the chipset drivers from Acer to C:\Tech Installs Use Device Manager to Remove and to Install the driver. Or use Device Manager to Remove the driver and then Reboot, allowing Windows to "find new hardware" and "install drivers for new hardware" You will need to "direct" the installation wizard to find the drivers in your C:\Tech Installs folder. Use the option to "browse" or "select a specific location" to find the drivers which will be in your C:\Tech Installs folder.
I think I have now updated the driver as it doesn't seem to be disabling itself or my anti virus on start up.
That said in the network connections menu it not says
Wireless Network Connection 4

Does that mean that wireless network connection 1, 2, 3 are still present???

P.s Can I now reinstall Ad-Aware?

Cheers
Hi manicd,

From what you describe, you've created 4 wireless internet connections.
I do not imply that you did so intentionally, but in the uninstalling-installing and configuring, you've ended up with 4.
Do they all show a status of "Connected"?
You only need one.

When multiple Internet connections with Status - Connected are in existence, you will have an additional option to "Remove", Disable or Repair.
You can Remove connections 1,2,and 3 without negative consequence.
I don't think doing so would "improve" your internet performance, but you might want to clean it up, anyway.
_________

You ask…. Can you now install Ad-Aware?
Sure, if you want to.
__________

With regard to the unnecessary StartUps:
admServ.exe Avocent Inc. C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\admServ.exe
LightScribe Hewlett-Packard Company C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
PSIService C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSIService.exe

consider installing and using CodeStuff Starters, available here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html

Open CodeStuff Starters
Select the "StartUps" (tab) (will probably appear as the active tabbed panel by default)

You will probably see the above items, and can safely "disable" them by removing the checkmark/tick from in front of each item.

CodeStuff Starters is a handy little program utility that you may wish to keep for future use as well.

Best Regards
Hi Doug Haha Yeah I'm a bit of a donut because I wasn't sure if I had installed the Driver successfully, but I have now removed all the unnecessary Drivers. There was one more thing I wanted to ask (I hope I'm not taking the mick) and that was about the non presence of volume control on my keyboard. The thing is I have the buttons on my keyboard to control the brightness and volume its just the volume keys are not responding If you feel this problem does not need your attention I'll understand, you have beeen more than helpful thank you. :thumbup: :D
You can access your Keyboard Driver and perform Trouble-shooting via Device Manager. Keep us posted with your progress. You've done great, so far! :thumbup: Best Regards
Sorry this is so annoying but Ive just uninstalled the Atheros wireless network adaptor via Device Manager several times to get it back down to one.
But every time I do this it searches for the hardware and then just reinstalls it.
So now instead of there just being one wireless network connection its gone up to seven
It now reads in:

start>connect to>show all conections

"Wireless Network Connection 7
Not connected
Atheros AR5005G wireless net…"

Its the no: seven thats at the end of Wireless Network connection that I'm concerned about it wasn't there before and cannot get my head round it.
I do not use this as a connection to the internet ( I use a modem) but id rather not have seven of them.

gggggrrrr so annoying!!!!!!!!!! :wall:


P.s it wont let me troubleshoot the volume thing as the active x is not safe???? clueleess

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI