This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Monitor shut down

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I recently installed Fix-it Utilities 8, & ran the registry cleaner. It seemed to optimize the system, but now the monitor will shut down completely. I restored the computer to prior install date, but it still shuts down. Appreciate any help.
You mean the monitor will power off (not just go to sleep) and the computer stays running? When does this happen? Is it consistent? Tell us about your computer, monitor, and operating system.
Windows XP is the OS. The monitor justs shuts down, the computer is still running. It has done this about 4 times in the past 2 days. It's random on how long it stays on.

Tell us about your computer, monitor, and operating system.

Windows XP is the OS.


And??? If you want help, you really need to help us by answering the questions so we can get an idea of what is going on. At this point, we still don't know if this is a laptop, or a desktop/tower PC. CRT monitor or LCD monitor.

Okay. Some times, simply changing the display properties and then changing them back can fix issues, but this sounds like a monitor problem as it is not normal to shut down, assuming you mean you have to press the monitor's power switch to bring it back up (and this is not a laptop).

Have you checked the cable connections to make sure they are secure - note that some monitors have a detachable cables so check the back of the monitor too. And some monitor power cords come in 2 or even 3 parts - cable from wall to power block, the power block, and from the power block to the monitor - all must be tight.

If all that looks good, then I would swap monitors with another computer and see if the problem moves or stays. If moves, then you know your monitor is going. If

If all secure, you should power down AND unplug the computer from the wall, then pop off the side of the case and make sure the card (if using a card - are you?) is securely seated in the slot. While in there, make sure the interior is not blanketed with heat trapping dust and dirt - clean as necessary, making sure fans spin freely with a flick of the finger.

If all secure, then look in device manager to make sure there are no red or yellow error indicators shown. If all okay, then you might want to go out to the card maker's website for new graphics card drivers.

And if this is a laptop, then the inverters are probably going bad and you need to send laptop in for repair. Generally the inverter modules cost from $60 to $110 depending on model and it takes about 1 hour of labor. The best clue to determine if the inverters is going bad is to shine a bright flashlight at the monitor next time it goes out - if you can still see computer's video display on the monitor, the inverters are going.
Digerati, Thanks for your response. Sorry for being so brief with the info. This is a Desktop Compaq Presario 6024US , Intel ® Pentium® 4 CPU 1.80 GHz 1.79GHz 512MB Ram., with 15" flat screen monitor, running Windows XP SP2. I' ve had the computer about 5 yrs, but the monitor , about 8 mos.. I did take the cover off the tower, and dusted . I of course checked all connections, nothing seemed to be loose. So far the monitor hasn't went down today, so I'll only post back if the problem continues. The whole thing started when I installed Fix- It utilities. I ran registry cleaner & registry fix, and the virus & spyware scans The over-all system health & system protection are excellent, however , I did choose to take out some things in the registry that I thought should be obsolete. Wrong thinking. I do have the option to un-do the changes thru the Un-Doit feature, so if the problem continues, do you suggest trying that? Again, appreciate your time

Sorry for being so brief with the info.

No problem!

I of course checked all connections

I have to ask! First steps in troubleshooting are normally to check (1) Is it plugged in? And (2) Is it turned on? It is usually after that when someone comes back and says, "I don't know what happened but suddenly it's working now! Thanks for your help" Click! ;)

Yeah, generally I don't recommend messing with the Registry. I have never seen a review or any evidence that showed cleaners improve performance or stability beyond fixing a missing shortcut, or maybe shortening boot time by a couple seconds. Generally, if the system is running slow for no apparent reason, the problem is something other than the registry, such as spyware, low hard disk space, too much running in too little RAM, bad driver, or something of the sort. The only Registry cleaner I would recommend is the one that is included in CCleaner and that is because it is not aggressive.

Note that obsolete (orphaned) entries in the Registry do not hurt a thing.

I know that Fix-it has been around a long time and has received good reviews, but I have not used that program so I hesitate to recommend using it further and would say to do so at your own risk. Certainly, you would hope a program's own undue feature would work perfectly, but then you would hope the main program would too. :( Personally, I would probably see if I had a System Restore point set to a point in time before I used the program that caused the problem.
I did restore to 2 days prior to the install of the program, and the monitor still shut down, but I indeed could have in-advertently corrected a faulty connection. Anyway, it seems fine now. I have CC Cleaner also, thanks to a tip from one of the moderators from a previous post to the forums. I guess we can close this topic. Thank you for your response :thumbup:
BTW, I didn't receive email notification of replies,even though email settings are ticked for that. , and it wasn't filtered in junk. What exactly is the address, so I can add it in address book? Thanks
None of the replies? I admit, it seems some times I don't get some too. But if you are not getting any for any of the threads you subscribe to, then there's a problem, for sure. Replies will come from no_reply @ gtghosting.com without the spaces around the "@", of course.
I think you need to try the monitor on another computer - or another monitor on yours and see what happens.

Make sure your system if clean of malware and there are no errors in device manager.

Then, if you want to run HJT, see the WhattheTech HijackThis Log Procedures for complete instructions for running HijackThis and posting your log. Do not post your log here.
Ok I will try that-still have an old monitor. Scans haven't came up with any problems , malware or spyware. I'm not quite sure how to run device manger. :huh:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI