This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Monitor.exe

28 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

I'm trying install a copy of 3D MAx to my computer however a running process, application or program called monitor.exe isn't allowing me to do this.
On installation a window pops up saying monitor.exe must be closed before installation can continue.
My questions are:


1) What is monitor.exe

2) How do I turn it off to allow me to install 3D MAX

I have googled and been to 3D MAX forums about monitor.exe but people don't seem to have the foggiest.
If any anyone could offer me some help it would be most appreciated.



Regards
Since you also "googled" you will have seen that "Monitor.exe" (may be) a component of MS Server software.
So if you're running a Network and this machine has the primary Hard Drive(s) for shared file storage, your identification of Monitor.exe may be just that, a routine that MS uses to keep track of permissions and access, and such.

Otherwise, it "sounds like" it could be a component of a Security Utility, or a Systems Information/control Utility like System Mechanic, or Bill P Studios WinPatrol, etc. etc.

Got anything like that going on with your machine.

Maybe another way to approach this would be for you to Run a Full Tests and Post the TechExpress Link for an overview analysis of your machine.

GoTo:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Run Full Tests (left hand column of page)
Post the TechExpress Link which you can find on the yellow/brownish boxed list on any of the Results pages.

You'll have to register with a legitimate email account
You'll have to accept an ActiveX to allow your machine to Run the Full Tests.

Both are SAFE and FREE.

I'll be watching for you to post the link.

Best Regards
Hello Doug

I ran the Pc Pitstop test as advised and here are my results contained in this link:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/TechExpress.asp?id=6NP7HWFRT1VSGVGW

It showed up something that has been bugging me for a while and that is my memory.
The capacity is 512MB RAM but is only running at 504MB which is unusually low.

I have only just bought this laptop at the start of the year so surely it wont need an upgrade yet?
Is there any way of fixing this problem so I don't have to fork out for more memory?



Regards
Hi Manicid, Not sure why, but your Pit Test Link isn't working for me this morning. Will you try posting it again, please. Doug
Erm ok



This is the only link its giving me as a I view the page.

I have copied and pasted it from the address bar for you here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/TechExpress.asp?id=6NP7HWFRT1VSGVGW

Fingers crossed I hope it works .
Hello Doug

Was you able to ascertain any information from the link I gave to help solve my memory problem?

I did manage to install 3D MAX in the end by stopping monitor.exe in the task manager processes tab.


Any further help would be great if you have the time


Kind Regards
Yes Manicd, the second posting of the link was "clickable". And it turns out the first one worked fine via copy/paste into the address bar. You are losing much of your machine's Performance strength with so many processes running active from your Start Menu. You can see many/most of the items that are "not necessary" on the Windows Results Page of your Pit Test. They are the items with Purple background. You can also gain some performance improvement by: Uninstall Adobe 8.0 — substitute the smaller less impact Foxit Reader Disable Indexing Service on C:\ Disable Regional and Language Advanced Text Services Remove Ad-Aware 2007 from starting at boot time Disable Hiberfil.sys Reduce "eye candy" by Selecting "Best Performance" instead of "Best Appearance" C-dilla is a low risk adware that is bundled with other software. I generally try to remove it, but sometimes the associated application will not run unless you keep C-dilla. I'm guessing that "monitor.exe" is part of CA eTrust Acer is pretty jealous of its various branded utilities, and as much as I'd like to suggest that you disable various of them, I know that Acer Laptops sometimes start complaining and hanging, when the Acer Utilities are turned off. Keep us posted with your progress and/or additional questions. I'm guessing that you're pretty much good-to-go now that you've found a way to disable "monitor.exe" via Task Manager in order to install your desired application. I'd definitely try to reduce that 23% CPU load by closing down some of the items I listed above, and turning off as many of those Purple background items as possible. Best Regards
Thanks for that Doug

Is there chance your good self could help disable these unessery items:


Disable Indexing Service on C:\
Disable Regional and Language Advanced Text Services
Remove Ad-Aware 2007 from starting at boot time
Disable Hiberfil.sys
Reduce "eye candy" by Selecting "Best Performance" instead of "Best Appearance"


or maybe provide a link that can tell me how to do this.

When you say the unnecessary components are highlighted in purple (it looks more of a blue to me) are these the optional ones as marked by the legend at the top of my results table.

As for C-dilla can you see from my results what program it is part of and how do I remove it.
If I remove it and that application doesn't work I can always reinstall it, except if it is part of my anti-virus.


Kind Regards
Hi Manicd, I am 3 minutes away from an important appointment, which is scheduled to last for 2 hours at my office. I will check in with you after that time and post steps to accomplish the following as you requested. Doug Disable Indexing Service on C:\ Disable Regional and Language Advanced Text Services Remove Ad-Aware 2007 from starting at boot time Disable Hiberfil.sys Reduce "eye candy" by Selecting "Best Performance" instead of "Best Appearance"

Disable Indexing Service on C:\


right-click on C:\ - then select - Properties
at the bottom of the properties Panel you will see a box followed by a line that reads "index files on this drive for fast search" <– remove the checkmark and then reply affirmatively to any prompts (some files may alert that they cannot remove Indexing and you will be given the option to "Ignore" < That's OK, Ignore

Disable Regional and Language Advanced Text Services

Start - settings - Control Panel - Regional and Language Options - Language(tab) - Details - Advanced —–
Checkmark the item for "Turn off Advanced Text services - OK, Apply

Remove Ad-Aware 2007 from starting at boot time

Start - Run - (type)MSCONFIG - Enter - Select the StartUp (tab)
Remove the checkmark/tick from in front of Ad-Aware - 2007

Disable Hiberfil.sys

Right-Click on any empty spot on your desktop to bring up Display Properties
Select the ScreenSaver(tab)
Click - Power(settings)
Select the Hibernate(tab)
Remove the checkmark/tick from in front of the item "Enable Hibernate"


Reduce "eye candy" by Selecting "Best Performance" instead of "Best Appearance"


Right-Click on My Computer - Properties - Advanced(tab)
Click on Performance - Settings
Click on "Adjust for Best Performance"

**for about the same performance improvement, but still keeping some of the "eye candy" for more pleasing Desktop appearance,
Click on - Custom
Remove the checkmark/tick from in front of all the items except:
– Smooth Edges of Screen fonts
–Use Visual Style on Windows and buttons

_____________

You should notice a performance improvement.
the improvement "may" be most evident when you are multi-tasking
___________

If you use MVPS Hosts File for Security (recommended)
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

You can regain any "slow-down" from that security protocol by installing a well-respected third-party utility
Called FunkyToad <— Yep it doesn't sound very professional…. but it is great!
http://www.funkytoad.com/

It will appear each time you turn on your machine or reboot.
You can "minimize" the utility and it will then function in the background.

What does it do?
MVPS Hosts File blocks a ton of known-bad Internet Sites
FunkyToad places a tiny color patch on the WebPage where third-party Advertisements (Ads by Google, etc.) would have appears. Therefore your browser is not having to download all that extra junk advertisement while you browse.
This speeds up your browsing experience and keeps you safe from accidentally clicking on a bad junk ad site.

Enjoy
Doug
:) Cheers Doug Thanks for all the useful information there. Its going to take me a while to sort it out (I'm not complaining though lol). Ill keep you up-to-date on how I get on if thats ok. But thanks again for all your help much appreciated. Kind regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI