After cleaning address box in IE6 (cleaning history and also in register by Typed URL's), there is always a rest of info in the address box. When I type an A in the adress box I get a list of links from programs like Acrobat Reader.lnk, AdAware.lnk … all programs starting with an A. Also for others from B till Z this happens. Even the maps from the "Favourites" of IE are displayed when typing in A till Z in the address box. Does anyone know how this happens … and how you can delete this or make it not happen ?
Thanks for any suggestion.
Hi, Sorry to hear that this feature is causing annoyance, it is normally installed by default to save you typing. Some folks find it useful but it drives others mad!
If you want to turn it off:
1 Open Internet Explorer
2 Click on Tools
3 Click on Internet options
4 Click on the tab labelled Content
5 look down for AutoComplete
6 Click on Settings
7 Clear the marks (tick/check) from the boxes to the left of the items, according to taste
8 Click on OK
9 Ok your way out
10 Close Internet Explorer.
When you next open IE you should see your amendments have taken place
Regards
paws
Hi Paws,
Your suggestion of auto-complete is working for the normal URL's, like "www.andsoon.com" (and I like that), but that's not the problem. The problem is that in the address box other information is shown when typing f.e. the letter A. When all the URL's are deleted I get suggestions for links like AdAWare.lnk, Acroabat Reader.lnk and all the other programs that are shown on my desktop. And more : also the names of my maps of "Favourites" are shown when I type a letter in the address box. I want to know where they come from, how I can stop this … and most of all where they are storaged to come up when typing a letter in the address bar.
Sorry if my English isn'always correct, but it isn't my native language in Belgium.
Any other suggestion ?
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI