Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Very Slow Internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lwalker_sfo

lwalker_sfo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:56 PM

I recently updated firefox and now very much regret it!! After updating, i went on MySpce and everything worked fine - for a while. Without warning, refreshing pages became incredibly slow, then stopped altogether. Running task manager shows that everytime a page is loaded in firefox, the firefox.exe cpu usage shows 80-90%, overall usage being 100%. Pages then take a long, long time to load. Eventually firefox.exe settles down until next time any link is clicked or even rolled-over. Any help with this would be much appreciated as the mozilla site has not helped at all.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:26 PM

Hi lwalker_sfo,

I compliment you on stating the important information of what applications and functions your machine was handling at the time you noticed the problem beginning.
Unfortunately, the information does not suggest a clear path for finding a solution.

General experience of many satisfied firefox customers would argue that Firefox is not the culprit here.
However, since you only recently Upgraded Firefox, one is tempted to guess and rule-out the possibility of a corrupted download or fault occuring during the installation.

To Rule-out such a possiblility, please completely Uninstall Firefox.
Then using your IE or other browser, go to the Mozilla site to get a fresh download of Firefox 2.0.0.4.
Allow the download to be "saved" to a folder on your machine, and then Install it from the saved folder, rather than allowing Firefox to perform the installation from the online source.

Of course, the above "may" correct your problem completely........ or not.
________

Most frequently, when internet access slows down or stops, the problem is: (in the following order)
--Infection with Malware
--Corruption of the Browser
--Excessive "junk files" and auto-udating files of non-junk applications
--Insufficient "free-space" on the Hard Drive, or heavily fragmented files on the Hard Drive
--Missing or corrupted Operating System Files
_____________--

Next:
Download and Run (one) of the following: CleanUp! 4.52, Ccleaner, ATF-Cleaner
_________

Next:
Download, install, update, and Run:
--Spybot Search & Destroy, version 1.04
--AVG AntiSpyware 7.5

--Update and Run a full system scan with your AntiVirus

--Run (one) of the following online Scans
----Panda ActiveScan
----Kaspersky Online Scan
----TrendMircro Housecall

In each case of the above recommended scans, allow removal/fix/quarantine of items that the scan identifies - *AND* -
---SAVE the log file from the various scans to post the information back here into this thread if malware is identified and removed.
_______________-

Next, it would be useful to gather more information and a better overview of your machine.

Please navigate to the PCPitstop website, Run the Full Tests, and Post your TechExpress Link back here into this Thread for further review.
Here: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Full Tests are the first item in the left-hand column.
you will be required to Register with a valid email address
You will be required to accept an ActiveX component to allow your machine to Run the Full Tests
Both Registering and accepting the ActiveX are FREE and SAFE.

One you've completed the Full Tests, please copy/paste the TechExpress Link into this thread for review.
TechExpress Link is available on any Results page in the short list of options (yellow brown background box.)

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 lwalker_sfo

lwalker_sfo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

Doug, Many thanks for your reply. As things stand, I have "sorted" the problem by creating a new firefox profile. No problems when I run this instead of default one. Useful information for other firefox users which is buried in the mozilla site!! Needs to be far more visible of their help forum topics are anything to go by. This is an adequate solution for me, so I won't take up any more of your valuable time - I'm sure there are many more people out there that are having bigger problems than me. Again, many thanks for the reply - i have saved it for future reference as I'm sure i will need it sooner or later.

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:36 AM

Thanks for deciding to become a Member of TomCoyote. :thumbup: Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.