This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Difficult to load web pages

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

 

I have an HP a1330n running XP.  Lately, I'm finding it very slow accessing Firefox.  I am up to date on the latest version.  Firefox itself seems to be slower loading than before but once to a website you pull your hair out waiting for it to change pages.  I'm getting a "connecting" message in the upper left corner with the spinning icon.  After 3 or 4 minutes it may change pages and sometimes if I hit the "X" on the address bar and then hit the reload current page (in the same location as the X I just mentioned) it will change.

 

I have McAfee and it's up to date also - it tells me I'm protected.  I've run Spybot also and it tells me I'm clean.

 

What else can I tell you or what other info do you need?

 

Thanks,

 

Guy

The other thing I forgot to mention is when I check device mgr Firefox is generally the one causing my CPU usage to go to 100%.  Of the 100% FF is usually 75% to 92%.  If I shut FF down my CPU usage will drop into the teens of single digits.  I reload FF and CPU will go up to 50% or so and then before long FF is back up to the 75 - 92% range & CPU at 100%.

I reset Firefox and it seems better.  I've been playing with it the last couple of days checking it at different times of the day.  I'm not sure if that's totally resolved it because it's still a little slow loading & changing pages and it's still a CPU hog.  At least it's not taking 3 - 4 minutes to change pages anymore.

I was actually hoping we might try some other things to determine why it's consuming so much cpu usage and still a bit slow.  I do appreciate the first tip you gave me though.

The first thing I'd do is try a couple other browsers, including IE and Chrome and may Paler Moon, a Firefox spinoff.
 
If they do not have the problem then we can concentrate on Firefox, otherwise it's something in the OS.

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Advanced startup options - XP
Advanced startup options - Vista
Advanced startup options - Windows 7
Advanced startup options - Windows 8

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7 and Windows 8

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab (for Windows 8, the Startup tab has a link to open Task Manager/Startup tab. Use that.), record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

Well……….you're certainly given me some homework to do, thank you.  I'll work on this and get back to with with what I find.  I appreciate this.

Everything I do seems to point to Firefox as the culprit.  I shut down FF and loaded IE.  Things were much better - even having multiple browsers open.  The CPU usage would surge occasionally when playing a video from various sites but would settle back down.  With IE open I'd open FF and the CPU usage surged and if I then opened a video with FF, well forget it.  I close FF and things get back to normal.  The results were the same in safe mode. 

 

Deleting all the start ups and services had no effect on FF either.  As soon as I loaded FF everything bogged down.  Loading FF was difficult at times, switching pages was hard (but better after I reset it earlier) and CPU usage continued to surge.  It just seems like FF is doing something it shouldn't be doing to me.

I have the following:

 

Adblock Plus 2.6

Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon 0.9.2

Bulk Image Downloader 4.39.0.0

Download Helper 4.9.22

Flash Video Downloader - Full HD Download 5.9.1

ImageHost Grabber 1.6.5.5

Save Images 1.0.2

Video Downloader professional  1.97.34

 

McAfee SiteAdvisor 3.7.0

Microsoft .Net Framework Assistant 0.0.0

 

The last 2 are disabled.

The Plugins are as follows:

 

Adobe Acrobat 11.0.7.79

Citrix Online Web Development Plugin 1.0.0.104

Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.550.14  10.55.2.14

Java (TM) Platform SE 7 U55 10.55.2.14

McAfee Security Center 12.8.934.0

RealNetworks™ Chrome Background Extension Plug-In (32 bit) 15.0.6.14

RealPlayer Download Plugin 15.0.6.14

RealPlayer ™ G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In (32 bit) 15.0.6.14

RealJukebox NS Plugin 15.0.6.14

RealPlayer ™ HTML5VideoShim Plug-In (32 bit) 15.0.6.14

Shockwave Flash 13.0.0.214

Thinkorswim 1.0.0.0

tossc 1.0.0.0

VLC Web Plugin 2.1.3.0

Windows Presentation Foundation 3.5.30729.1

Ok, just disabled them all and FF was about 5% of CPU usage and I opened a video and FF soared to 98% and total CPU usage is 100%.  Shut down the video and FF goes to 2% and CPU usage to 19% and as low as 4%. 

 

With no video playing and changing webpages FF spikes to 68% but after the pages loads, which is fairly quickly, it backs back down to 3%.

 

Loading a picture runs FF up to 78% before settling back down.

 

Opening a 3rd browser (I use MSN as my homepage) takes FF to 16% and CPU to 29%.

 

Does this help?  And do you want me to start adding back the extensions?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI