This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Building A Computer. Need Advice.

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Im building yet another computer. I put together a list of parts and need to know if it is a good setup like i think it is. Let me know if you guys know of anythign i should change. Faster CPU, maybe even a better deal, ETC. Also anything else i should know or look out for compatibility wise. Thanks alot. Parts List: Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model F2-6400PHU1-1GBNR - Retail Foxconn C51XEM2AA- 8EKRS2H Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA5200CSBOX - Retail ZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail Rosewill Stallion Series RD450-2-DB ATX V2.2 450W Power Supply - Retail Rosewill R604-P BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail Grand Total $450 I guess i should add that this pc should last and is going to be used for heavy multi-tasking, video encoding, photoshop… This is a computer for work so it needs to be reliable. I was also thinking about going with this cpu/motherboard combo but im not sure if it would be worth the extra money. AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail Item #: N82E16819103773 Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail Item #: N82E16813131013 ^^New Grand Total $628.67 I know you guys are very smart and nice here so i figured it would be a good place to get some help.
hi Ralph400ex,

guess it really comes down to how much money you want to spend.

intel core 2 duo's are now top of the heep but of course you will pay for that. amd cpus keep coming down in price. iam eyeballing a Athlon 64 X2 5600+ myself.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/04/whi…mainstream_cpu/

good cpu benchmarking results:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

i get parts from newegg. Mwave is great also, lots of motherboard/cpu/memory combos:

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/bundle.hmx?

AMD suggested components:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Techni…69_9460,00.html
I used to recommend 1Gb of RAM as the "sweet spot" for the best performance for the money. Now, with current dual core CPUs, I have modified my recommendations to 1Gb per core. Therefore, I strongly recommend you increase your budget and go for 2Gb of total RAM. This is especially true if the computer will be used for such things as, "heavy multi-tasking, video encoding, photoshop".

It appears you plan on using on-board graphics. Do not expect great performance. Also note that on-board graphics WILL steal a large chunk of your RAM for graphics processing - yet another reason for more RAM.

Your 450Watt PSU choice is fine - for now. But if you should decide to add a nice graphics card a year down the road, that PSU will probably not be enough. It would be wiser to spend a few extra bucks now and go for a 550-650Watt supply today, then you will already be ready for tomorrow.

I don't see any optical drives listed - you should get a DVD drive as many new programs are coming on DVD and they read CDs as well. I still always include a floppy drive with my builds. They are very inexpensive but when you need a floppy (for diagnostics, adding special drivers, etc.), they are worth their weight in gold.

Also, I note you do not have an OS listed. Don't forget that. If going Vista, and with any new PC, I don't see why not, it will work better with more RAM too!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI