Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Browser Closes Automatically

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 phatrolla

phatrolla

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:03 PM

Hi there Now, I have had my hijack this log checked and its not malware related but whenever Im doing online scans like windows one care scanner or panda my browser closes automatically. Any help appreciated. Kind Regards Phatrolla

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:22 PM

Hi Sorry to hear that you still have issues with your machine, although it must be reassuring to know that it is not malware related. The fact that you are experiencing this problem, not just with your browser but also with other applications indicates some damaged or missing sytem files. As a start therefore please run the Windows protected system file checker. Start>Run>sfc /scannow ( note the space) OK Be sure to have your Windows OS installation disc handy as if SFC finds damaged files it will attempt to repair them and overwrite fresh copies and if it cant find them on your machine will ask for your disc. There is a progress bar but no report generated by this tool, and it should take about 30 minutes or so to run and after rebooting it is sometimesw necessary to run it a second time. Post back after a final reboot and let us know how it goes, and advise us if you have run chkdsk with the r switch since the problem began. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 phatrolla

phatrolla

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:30 AM

Hello Paws, I tried to run the 'Start>Run>sfc /scannow' but encountered 'files must be copied to dll cache please insert xp professional sp2 disc'. I tried this with my windows original disc which is xp home so Im not sure where this information has come from.I previously had installed xp professional but my system has been formatted and xp home installed to it. Its almost like it doesnt like the original xp home disc. Kind Regards Phatrolla

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:19 AM

Hi, Yes this does happen sometimes, there are a number of ways round this but the easiest by far is to keep hitting OK when it asks you for the other disc. You will need to this a number of times and gradually you will begin to see the blue progress bar creep along indicating you are making progress! We do not know at this stage if SFC will be able to fix your specific problem, but you must have damaged protected system files on your machine for SFC to make the request it has (It's found damaged files and needs to repair them) You may find that sfc runs much quicker on the second run after you have completed the first and rebooted. When posting back please advise on the Chkdsk question I raised in my previous post. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 phatrolla

phatrolla

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:42 AM

Hi Paws, WOW thats a lot of clicking, I think I need a new mouse. Anyway did the Start>Run>sfc /scannow twice rebooted after each time and tried third time and still askingfor the disc. Did the chkdsk\r and scan each of the 5 areas and rebooted with The volume is clean. Also now when i shutdown I get Microsoft visual runtime error/shutdown. Should I just format h/d or do a repair install of windows? By the way all this help is muchly appreciated. Hear from you soon.... Phatrolla

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:56 AM

Hi, I think we should persevere with sfc for a little while longer before moving on to more drastic steps.
If you go here:
http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html
you will find the workaround to sfc asking for the wrong disc ,it entails just a bit of work but generally does the trick.
post back and let us know how you get on (after a final reboot that is)
Regards
paws

#7 phatrolla

phatrolla

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:24 AM

Hi again, This is what happened, I followed your link and copied the folder from the cd to the c: root folder, the next step was to find sourcepatch in the registry. It wasnt in the location specified on the link,so, i thought Id try the sfc /scannow again. It didnt ask for the cd and ran through without a hitch. Do I need the 'sourcepatch' in the registry? What do you suggest as the next step? Kind regards Phatrolla

#8 phatrolla

phatrolla

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:31 AM

Hi paws, Also I tried the online scan again and it still does the same thing.... Thanks again Phatrolla

#9 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:06 AM

Hi, Have you an uninfected Restore Point on your system or did you purge the System Restore when you finished with your malware scans. If you have uninfected restore points then you could try this (but check your back up/archive copy files first) but you will need to restore back to before the trouble began. WARNING do not restore if your System Restore has infected files in it. Let us know how you go...if no joy then it looks like a repair installation Windows (on top) as a first measure...Is all your stuff properly backed up/archived.copied to removavle media and reproducible? If you have been working on writing a novel over the last 20 years it sure would be a pity to lose it all! Regards paws

#10 phatrolla

phatrolla

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:33 PM

Hello again I did have infected restore points about 2 weeks ago, but Im starting to look at this in a different way. Is this online scanning important? Should I continue with my current security progs (zonealarm pro, AVG A/V 7.5, spyware doctor, spywareblaster, prevx2)? I mean, my system does everything I want it to except these 'online security scans'. Please let me know our thoughts as I'm thinking to leave well while things are managing. Your time and expierence has been highly apprecieted with this matter so let me know what you think. Thanks again Phatrolla