Hi,
My wife picked up a 1GB Memory stick, took it to work and had some image files loaded onto it.
Brought it home and it wont load on my PC, which has the software to read the files.
It works file on an old laptop, but not on my PC.
HJT header from my PC.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 22:18:07, on 22/05/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16441)
The system recognises somethings been added and tried to load the driver, but comes up with Unknown USB Device.
On the Laptop the driver used is USBSTOR.SYS but my PC just wont load that driver.
Hi,
Sorry to hear of the problem with your memory stick.
These as you know are generally recognised by any machine running windows XP or Windows 2000 just by plugging it in.
as a first measure try this:
1 Unplug your memory stick
2 Go to device manager
3 uninstall the memory stick (probably shown as unknown device)
4 Reboot
5 Plug in your memory stick, use a USB port on the back of your computer do not plug it into a hub and be prepared to try different ports, following the above instructions each time.
You should eventually get some baloon messages (in the notification area) starting with "Windows has found new hardware"— and ending with "Your new hardware is ready for use"
If you don't get the messages then check in "My Computer" to see if it's there (probably under "Removable Drive"
Post back and let us know how you get on.
Regards
paws
Hi,
I tried different ports but no luck.
I went to device manager and uninstalled a couple of USB devices which were in an error state I even went into the View option and displayed hidden devices, and found a USB device in error there. I uninstalled that too.
On rebooting I got an error in the device called "Intel® 82801DB/DDBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD" I tried to re-install that one, it nearly completed and then said it couldn't copy a file and could not complete. The only option was to Finish. When clicking Finish the box disappeared and then cam back again, again the only option was to finish. It kept on repeating this, the only thing to get rid of it was to re-boot.
Now I'm back in again it says it's disabled and there's no driver installed. I tried again to re-install the driver, but kept getting the same problem as above.
I don't know what to do, all my USB devices are unplugged and I can't get the enhanced controller to work.
Thanks for your help.
EDIT I have just noticed you are posting in the malware removal forum and are being assisted by Susan, If you are posting here in this forum about the same machine then please do not follow my recommendations it is essential that Susan's task is not made more difficult, by me giving additional advice that might possibly conflict.
If in this thread you are describing problems on a machine different ftom the one Susan is helping you with, then of course its OK to go ahead with my recommendations.
paws
Hi dunacting,
Ok, this looks a tough one, as the USB host controller seems to have a serious problem,
Create a System Restore point and then:
Next step is to uninstall the "Intel® 82801DB/DDBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD" and anything else that is giving trouble (has a yellow or Red flag against it) reboot and Windows should install the correct drivers.
NOTE please only do one thing at a time (so we can backtrack if necessary)
There are a number of other steps we can take, so hang on in there before getting fed up!
Let us know how you get on.
Regards
paws
Hi Thanks for your help.
I've sorted it now. It was a driver problem (it got currupt) I downloaded an updated version installed it and everything is now sorted.
The problem with Susan was sorted out, I think my last update highlighted the USB problem.
Thanks for your time.
Steve
Hi dunacting,
Well done.
Glad you fixed it.
These things are often driver problems but they are so annoying!
I am pleased that Susan has got you sorted out OK on the other forum and hopefully your machine is flying again
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI