I am unable to enable windows firewall. It tells me to enable it by going into the control panel under windows firewall. After trying this I get an error that says "Due to an unidentified problem, windows can not display windows firewall settings. I just cleaned my computer of any malware and it is clean. I do not see any windows ICF services running. I may have deleted them at some point. Should I reinstall SP2 or is there a better way?
If you think you may have uninstalled some Windows System Files, you can run Windows File Protection System File Checker…
Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - Enter
Have your XP SP2 CD handy, since SFC will need to copy any missing or corrupt system files, from an original.
Best Regards
About how long did SFC take to complete its scan run?
Less than 5 minutes probably indicates it did not complete the scan.
15-20 minutes is about right for the average XP installation.
Did it display the WFP progress bar during the scan/
_____
You could be dealing with problems in your Disk Structure.
Run CHECKDISK to identify any Disk Drive Structure errors (bad-clusters)
CHECKDISK will move any important file information to a "good surface" disk location as necessary.
The scan will take between 20 and 40 minutes depending on the size of your Hard Drive.
Start - Run - (type)chkdsk /f /r - Enter
CHECKDISK will warn that it cannot be run at this time due to inability to lock files or files in use.
you will be invited to Run CHECKDISK the next time you re-boot your machine. Respond affirmatively. Then Reboot.
CHECKDISK should be run multiple times if the current scan run identifies a bad-cluster.
Run a second and even a third time, until CHECKDISK identifies no further bad-clusters.
Run your SFC after completing the above with CHECKDISK.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI