This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Firewall Error

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My windows firewall will not turn on. When I click on the "Use recommended settings" I get an error "Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings. error code 0x8007042c". When I click on the Windows Firewall with Advance Security I get another error, "There was an error opening the windows firewall with advanced security snap-in. The windows firewall with advanced security snap in failed to load. Restart the windows firewall service on the computer that you are managing. error code 0x6D9". If I go into Window's Firewall Properties under Services and click on start, I get "Windows could not start the firewall service on local computer. Error 1068 the dependency service or group failed to start." I have been all over the internet looking for a solution and nothing I've tried has worked, including just about everything on the subject at Microsoft. There have been suggestions that this is caused my malware and I have run Malwarebytes which didn't find anything nor does the daily scan from Windows Security Essentials. Is anyone familiar with this that can offer some help? I really appreciate it. Pam
I don't personally have any guidance on specifics for this, but check the 2 replies Here, I don't know if you have tried those options or not, but if it's simply a stopped service these should sort it out, if they don't then it's definitely worth asking the Pro's in the Malware section to check your system for nasties, as this is what infections do, they disable your protection, and just because the tools you used found nothing, it doesn't always mean there is nothing, no single piece of protection can catch everything, and these guys use various tools which should only be used via their guidance, or you could easily corrupt your system, so if these don't help get a check up for peace of mind.
Getting Started: How To Get Help Start here for the Pro's help.
All of the results I found from my searches were older posts, but after I posted to WhattheTech I tried another search just for fun and found that others were having the same problems recently (within the last few days). Last night I found instructions in the Microsoft Community that suggested:

Download and install Windows Repair:
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5314-twe…ows-repair.html

When Windows Repair opens, click the Start Repairs tab. Click Start. Unselect all the boxes except for the following:

- Reset Registry Permissions
- Reset File Permissions
- Repair WMI
- Repair Windows Firewall

Then click Start. Once it's finished, restart your computer.

Which appears to have done the trick. I did not have any malware as I did follow their malware removal guide.

So far, my problem is solved, but thanks for the feedback.
Good to hear your sorted, and Thanks for saying how, it helps everyone else that way if ever needed again for a similar issue, and as long as someone who knows about infections gave you the all clear it's as good as you can get, as I said above no single piece of software can catch anything, but if the system is behaving as it should then you should be fine, but if something feels wrong in the future, more so if your protection goes down, it's worth getting a check up to be safe, but glad your back to normal now.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI