This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Dns To Workgroup No My Documents

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an old laptop running Windows XP that I have been using from my previous employer. The laptop was configured to use a domain access. Corporate policy did not allow users to have admin rights on laptops/PCs, so my domain account was powerless. I did get lucky one day I was at a client site and needed a new copy of Visio, which my the company did not have, so my manager told me to buy a copy. I had to go through the IT department and get admininstrator password for 48-hours to install the software. Since I had that power I created another account in the Local Admin group with full privs on the laptop. After a few months I forgot the password to that account. Used a utility to crack the password so I could change the laptop from domain to workgroup to copy all of my files from the laptop to my desktop as I am getting a new PC. This is where the problem starts. I changed to workgroup, did the reboot as mentioned by the computer. When I then tried to login into the laptop with my personal domain account, I was unable. I could login with my back door admin local account. So I did, but what I discovered was that my domain account is missing the My Documents folder. How can this be? Is there a way to get it back? I do not see any of my files!! I know they are on the disk, but I can not find them anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi I am not an approved techie here but I thought I would ask you one question without advising you to do anything to see if I can help, If you go to "MY COMPUTER" then open up "C drive" and then open up "Documents & Settings" do you see the username for the domain account?? If you do then go into that and then open up "my documents" and tell me if you see your files? This worked for me when I was playing around with a server at home and switched between domain and workgroup. Demos.
If you do a windows search for all files and folders and try searching for part of the name of one of your documents where does windows tell you it is? What path? try this and see if you can find any of your files and make a note of where they are hen maybe you can copy them from there to another folder on your hardisk where you will be able to find them easily. If the files are on your hardisk then you should be able to serach and find the location of them.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI