This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Severe Problems With Registry

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi. The problem with my computer began a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure what happened to initiate the problem, but I first noticed that I could no longer access the internet and presumed that I had been the victim of a backdoor trojan (I am an avid user of Azureus, a bittorrent program, to swap music found a popular and legal bt site). I was using Norton Antivirus as my primary antivirus software, and was about 2 weeks away from expiration. I started to notice some defects with my computer about the same time that I started to receive the pop ups generated by Norton that my subscription was about to expire. Some pop up errors started appearing that read "USBTip.exe" and "residence.exe" were a bad image and that mfc42.dll could not be found. I've run Hijackthis, SDFix, AVG75, and ATF Cleaner, etc. and believe that with one or more of these programs, I have inadvertantly screwed up my registry. I can only successfully run my computer in safe mode, and even then its not fool proof. The reason I know that my registry is screwed up is because I purchased Uniblue RegistryBooster and ran it, and it found in excess of 1,100 errors. I have several hundred more lurking in "User Software Settings" and "System Software Settings", but I can run RegistryBooster in these areas without my computer entering into the "blue screen of death". The error reads something to the effect of paging file where no paging file exists (sorry, I'm not very technically savvy when it comes to computers). Anyway, so I'm desperate to fix this problem. Any advice that you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Please see the log below… Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 12:01:36 AM, on 4/23/2007 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\retrorun.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\wdsvc.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\devldr32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\WgaTray.exe C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MDM.EXE C:\Documents and Settings\Todd\Desktop\Imabunny.exe O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll O2 - BHO: YBIOCtrl Class - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file) O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MaxtorOneTouch] C:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MXO Auto Loader] C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WD Button Manager] WDBtnMgr.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetIcon] \Program Files\WDC\SetIcon.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EEventManager] C:\Program Files\EPSON\Creativity Suite\Event Manager\EEventManager.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Uniblue Registry Booster2] C:\Program Files\Uniblue\RegistryBooster2\RegistryBooster.exe /S O4 - Startup: OCRAWARE.lnk = C:\OPLIMIT\OCRAWARE.EXE O4 - Global Startup: MICROSOFT OFFICE.LNK = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE O4 - Global Startup: RESOLUTION ASSISTANT.LNK = C:\Program Files\Dell\Resolution Assistant\MotiveAssistant\bin\matcli.exe O4 - Global Startup: UMAX VISTAACCESS.LNK = C:\VSTASCAN\vsaccess.exe O4 - Global Startup: WD Backup Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\My Book\WD Backup\uBBMonitor.exe O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SHDOCVW.DLL O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe O23 - Service: Retrospect Launcher (RetroLauncher) - Dantz Development Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\retrorun.exe O23 - Service: Retrospect WD Service (RetroWDSvc) - Dantz Development Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\wdsvc.exe O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe O23 - Service: wmp - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmp.exe" "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmp.cfg (file missing)
Whoops…I apologize….I realized that I shouldn't have posted the HJT log file in this forum… I've posted in the malware forum and hope to get a diagnosis at some point…will let you know
Hi, Using automated registry cleaner tools can cause problems if the user is not expert in their use or is not operating under the direction of an expert. Registry Cleaners can also give the impression that there are huge errors in the registry (large numbers of problems identified) when in fact the computer may be operating satisfactorily. If you are convinced that you have a registry problem, did you back up your registry before proceeding with the clean? (either using the registry cleaner's own back up facility or by exporting the keys, using a dedicated program like Erunt or making a restore point? Some additional questions for you: 1 What problem were you trying to solve with the use of the registry cleaner? 2 Can you now access the Internet on your machine? 3 What problems are you currently experiencing with your machine? Regards paws
Hello. Thanks for responding… I'm not sure that I was trying to achieve anything more than to be able to reestablish access to the 'net. Yes, I have been able to reestablish internet connectivity, but I can only successfully boot my machine to safe mode, which, as you can imagine, really sucks. I did a partial backup of the registry with the program's internal feature. The biggest error that I am trying to over come is "page_fault_in_non-paging_area", which results in the "blue screen of death". This happens both when I am trying to run the RegistryBooster program and when attempting to run programs such as RealPlayer and so forth. I'm reading that the only real fix for this error is to reinstall windows. Is there any other way?
Hi, I understand. Have you tried to restore your system to a date prior to when the trouble started if not this is the first step to take Regards paws
Hi, As an extra point please dont forget that if you use safe mode with Internet Access then your 2 way software firewall and anti virus protection will not be running. Without this sort of protection it is possible to get infected within seconds of connecting. Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI