Last week I cleaned out a fan and installed a new 1gig chip of ram into my inspiron 9100 laptop. Now computer detected ram so everything was okay.When I logged on everything was real sluggish and slow and fans were spinning at top speeds,sounding like a plane landing.Cpu usage was going through the roof for anything I did. I thought maybe the ram was faulty so I inserted the original ram but no difference.Any program i use takes up ridiculous amounts of processor.Checked temp and it seems to be staying at 49-52 degrees which is normal. I thought when cleaning the fans maybe i blew some dust onto the heat sink so opened it up and cleaned out the dust from there.Still the same. Ive also ran ad-aware,spybot,mcafee,disk defragmenter etc and no problems showing up. I really dont know what the hell is up and i feel like throwing the laptop up in the air and watch the fans fly it away!
What method did you use when cleaning the Fan?
Compressed air?
Brush?
Other?
If you used compressed air from the outside of the case and blowing into the fan-vent, I'm thinking kinda like you thought, that you may have displaced debris and forced it further inside the case.
If you've opened up the case enough to clean the cpu heatsink, you might benefit from doing so again, but this time look at areas between the CPU and the Fan vent that you cleaned. Open up the case a little further if necessary.
Are there any choke points formed by the case itself and components where the debris could have accumulated?
_________
Since the RAM is being detected, there may not be an issue of correct seating, but it wouldn't hurt to double check.
Any chance that this is a high-powered new laptop featuring dual-channel RAM performance.
If so, it is very important that the two sticks of RAM match "precisely". Otherwise performance takes a hit.
Not questioning your expertise here, just wondering how you selected the new stick.
_________
When opening any case, but especially laptops, there is a risk of accidentally detaching a wire or connector somewhere close to the area you are working.
Did you have to lift the keyboard to get to either the cpu heatsink of the slot for your new RAM?
It's very easy to not get the "layers" replaced exactly when repositioning the keyboard.
Best Regards
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI