This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Service Pack 2 Disables Usb

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently did a recovery on my HP pavillion a600n which installed XP Home. I then upgraded to XP Pro. Next, I did updates for the computer at the HP site that were advised before installing service pack 2. All my USB hardware ceased to work. I had to install an old serial port mouse driver to get a mouse to work. No drivers would work to use scanner, printer, or USB mouse. The devices were not listed on my device manager. Finally, I gave up and uninstalled service pack 2. All the USB hardware immediately worked. When getting help from your hijacker forums in the past, I have been strongly advised to use Service Pack 2. This is the second time I have tried to install it with the same results. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for the help!!!!
This is a problem with some computers running XP SP2 has been around for a while (maybe since 2005) and has been discussed by Microsoft as recently as March 29, 2007, here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?…kb;en-us;892050

The above linked article does not contain a hot-patch download link, but instead recommends that the owner/user contact Microsoft for the patch.

As usual, MS promises that the patch will be included in a next available monthly update.
If you are reluctant to contact MS support due to potential $costs$, please note that MS indicates that there is no charge for this fix if tech support determines that your machine is one of those that is affected.

Sorry I can't be of any better help in this situation.

Best Regards

***Long-shot suggestion: After you install XP SP2, use Device Manager to Update your USB Controller.
Check HP to see if they have the chipset drivers for your board (i.e. Intel 810 intel 875 …SiS…etc). It will be a .inf update. Then download THEN install SP2. You can download SP2 and install it later, thats the one you want to download. After you have installed SP2, and your chipset driver updates, reboot in to BIOS and make sure that everything USB is enabled. That will solve your problem

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI