This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Control Panel Broken

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

This is my first post, so dont yell if i do something wrong.

For some reason I cant uninstall almost anything in my windows Add/Remove Program panel.
I tried using HJT's uninstall panel, but it only shows the same 3 programs that actually have uninstall buttons in Add/Remove Program panel. Those programs are:

HijackThis 1.99.1
Home Ftp Server
Magic Online

I cant recall any of the non-installer executables i ran before that, but before that i installed:

Smart FTP Client 2.0
Apache HTTP Server 2.2.4

I'm not sure how long this problem has been going on, but I'd like to be able to uninstall my programs again.

Thanks
Look in your …. C:\Program Files\Smart FTP Client 2.0 C:\Program Files\Apache HTTP Server 2.2.4 There should be uninstallers at those location. Often they have names beginning – "Unwise…" or "Uninstall…" Best Regards
Thanks for the reply, but thats not what I meant… I actually looking to fix the Add/Remove Programs panel…So that I can Uninstall stuff from there. To me it seems like it would be some kind of spyware or virus..or something. But whatever it is, I suspect its something bad and I'd like it removed ;)
You can Post a HJT Log over in Malware Removal Forum to check on possible infection.

Not all applications "install" in the common way associated with Add/Remove, and therefore do not show or make themselves available to be uninstalled via Add/Remove.

Most (the overwhelming majority) do. But some don't.

It is highly likely that your Operating System is damaged, but quite possibly not from Malware.

Run your Disk Error Checking (chkdsk /f /r) and repeat the running of its full scans until it no longer identifies file items in "bad-sectors".

Once completed with CheckDisk, run your Windows File Protection System File Checker
(sfc /scannow).

If the above two procedures fail to correct your problem, then you may be in for a non-destructive Repair Installation.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI