Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Un-installing Ie 6 On Xp Home Edition

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 getsteppin

getsteppin

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Being able to climb out of bed on any given day.

Posted 07 November 2003 - 03:44 PM

Could someone who knows help me out here? Iam in the process of having to un-install IE 6 per directions from Symantech. Ive got the new install on my desk top. When I did the un-install thru the "remove program" thru the control panel, it only removes to the original install...therefore, with all the updates to XP over the past year I cant get rid of the current XP which still resides on the sytem...So, the new install will not download. What do I need to do? How do I use the utility tool from FreshDevices called the Fresh UI to do this?? Can this utility do that? How do can I do this? Symantech has had screen shotts of the error messages I sent and screen shots of the error reports. They insist its Explorer 6 which needs re-installed. I got this far in troubleshooting the problem, it appears Symantech has gotten to the point of "your're on your own". Help would be appreciated. getsteppin
MSI 266 K7 KT4 V mother board XP HOME SP2//1.2gig AMD/DURON..Does OK 786 SDRAM/SGDRAM 128 bit/333DDR ATI/Radon 9600SE card...well worth $$$ BitDefender Standard 8..awesome!! Puts Norton/Symantic to shame OutPost Firewall Pro ver. 2.5.370.4626 (370) AD-AWARE SE Personal MailWasher PRO..killer!! Benign (.b9) e-mail encoder.. requires no definiton updates..the best defense against e-mail buggs,virus's, attachments, web buggs and stuff I cant remember... from FireTrust.com

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 mitch

mitch

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 03:52 PM

I'm a lightweight, but might look at this link?
can't hurt
from ms on how to repair/uninstall/install ie6

http://support.micro...spx?scid=318378

#3 getsteppin

getsteppin

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 11:48 PM

Ive tried all the MS tool download progrms..sfc/scannow thru cmd prompt and online with XP CD, Ive done the un-install re-install of NSWorks, repair XP Home...reinstall/repair IE 6...and STILL>>>>Norton Auto Update will not run.. The only Utl. Interface Ive not run is Fresh U.I. ..I dont now how to use it, Ive been asking in this froum now a G**d**m week...I take it none of you do either. Prove me wrong...does anyone really read these posts?? Ill find out. getsteppin
MSI 266 K7 KT4 V mother board XP HOME SP2//1.2gig AMD/DURON..Does OK 786 SDRAM/SGDRAM 128 bit/333DDR ATI/Radon 9600SE card...well worth $$$ BitDefender Standard 8..awesome!! Puts Norton/Symantic to shame OutPost Firewall Pro ver. 2.5.370.4626 (370) AD-AWARE SE Personal MailWasher PRO..killer!! Benign (.b9) e-mail encoder.. requires no definiton updates..the best defense against e-mail buggs,virus's, attachments, web buggs and stuff I cant remember... from FireTrust.com

#4 mitchshrader

mitchshrader

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 01:20 AM

first: you have a norton issue. try norton tech support as a last resort. we are volunteers, do not have any economic connection to the virus program YOU chose, and (one assumes) paid for. second: all volunteer support is 1. Free, 2. As time permits, 3. Competing with many other critical issues. third: My rates for being cursed at are 5$ per minute. 20 minute minimum. Cash in advance.

#5 DroidC

DroidC

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 08:32 AM

I agree with Mitch, if you want to curse free advice, please go some place else. You stated the Norton will not auto update, that sounds like a Norton problem. Can that machine get to the web? Can Norton get to the web? If every other program on the machine can get to the web and update, for example, Spybot, Ad-aware, etc, but Norton cannot, then it is a Norton problem! Try uninstalling Norton and re-install. Disable the firewall long enough for Norton to try an update. Reconfigure the firewall to allow Norton to update. What error message do you get? Have you looked the error message up on Nortons website and Google? Rather than cursing, how about a bit more in depth information, error messages, etc... :oops:
Droid C

#6 YoKenny

YoKenny

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 08:41 AM

Actually Norton System Works is not a very good application. Most people I know call it Norton System Doesn't Works. The anti virus application is good but combining things together is not Symantec's forte. Mich is correct. You have received a bunch of good advice here and then you badmouth people for not helping you. That's a good way to become ignored. :rant:
I rcommend installing IE-SPYAD and SpywareBlaster and keeping them up to date weekly.
SpyBot Search and Destroy

WinXP Home user
Posted Image member

#7 getsteppin

getsteppin

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 09:26 AM

Flames, name calling etc will not be tolerated, period. find another forum if you don't want to take the advice given, FreshUI should have some kind of support if you wish to use it, go there, apparently no one here uses it Tom Coyote Wilson

Edited by Coyote, 08 November 2003 - 12:29 PM.

#8 projectX

projectX

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 12:37 PM

I think you need to remember that not everyone will have had the exact same problem as you, therefore, we wouldn't have had the NEED to know how to use FreshUI, and, seeing as you have an attitude, I doubt very seriously that anyone is going to take the time to learn how to use FreshUI just to tell you how to use it! Now, are you just trying to un-install from the Add/Remove Programs list, or have you also tried removing it from the Add/Remove Windows Components list? BTW, when I still had NSW 2002, a Symantech tech informed me that NSW does seem to be a little "buggy" at times when you use the "full install" option. He then suggested that I install each component of NSW independantly, and see if that helped with LiveUpdate and the rest of the problems I was having. One last thing; have you considered asking FreshDevices how to use their own utility? Maybe they will have an FAQ or a forum (God help them!) that can give you the answer(s) you need.

#9 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 08 November 2003 - 12:58 PM

getsteppin- Originally you stated that you where trying to keep from formatting.. although you could have been done with it by now had you done that first. With as many times as you've been digging round' in the registry I reccomend a re-install anyway. .. Now Norton on the other hand.. well you havent got alot of help there because 1.) Not alot people are familiar with it (being that no one wants to pay the money you so proudly boast of paying for there service) 2.) It doesnt appear that there is an answer to the question...and 3.) You really ought to watch the language in here dude...I mean.. I understand your frustrated and fed up with something your paying good money for yet it doesnt seem to be doing what it is supposed to. But people do come here for help.. of all ages.. and we dont need a bad rep. I come here for 3 reasons.... when I need some, and I ask a question.. its answered without any bickering (its bad enough to have to post a question in front of alot of people.. if this kinda stuff is going on they'll never ask). I come here because everyone is friendly... and last but not least..I come here to help WHEN I can. This is a spyware information site.. unfortunatly we do not have a "Windows tech forum" persay and all with good reason. These people here are dedicated to rid us of spyware/malware/adware..etc.. and although alot of the moderators know alot about Windows/Linux there here to fight spyware. Me.. well..this is the only forum I try to post in because here I know what I am talking about.. With FreshUI.. simply open it.. in the Navagation Window (the one on the left with 4 or 5 different choices like Windows Interface...Explorer.. Hardware...etc.. and click to expand the first one and then 2nd.. and on.. and on.. and simply set them accordingly. For the WFP that you and I spoke of.. navigate you way to Windows System...File Systems....and at the bottom of the list you will see (the last 2 options) Windows File Protection... now.. the very bottom one will say "file scanning options" after you expand it (open it).. double click on that .... then simply set it to scan at startup.... then click file.. .. save windows settings.... and b4 you exit make sure you have your XP disk handy then exit.. you will need to reboot and when you do.. if you have any bad or missing or corupt files it will ask you to insert the disk.. .... Let me know if you have any more questions.

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"