This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

how many needed?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Computer recently cleanedup with the help of Soya & LM. Now wondering if all the anti-things I'm running is necessary or actually counter productive. Now Running: 1. Comodo fire-wall. 2. AVG free edition. 3. Ad-Aware SE personal. 4. Spyware Blaster. 5. Spy-Bot Search & Destroy. 6. AVG Anti Spyware. Just want to be sure I'm not over doing it. Thanks dhac
you could add the use of the Hosts text file if you wish to; I use it now and it stops most of the ads that appear on many sites Hosts

once downloaded you need to reboot to see the effect and can always remove it if you do not like it;
just follow the instructions for your version of windows ;)
if you suffer from intrusive ads etc ( hopefully not of the 'infected' variety)that invade your viewing and enjoyment of web pages and make you play dodgems with unwanted things? then it really is a god- send; I logged into another forum on an un-Hosts comp earlier and got to literally see the ads I gladly now 'miss' on my own comp YYUUKKK!!!! :lol:
P;3 No on ads that i know of. i don't think i got it downloaded (mvp) althought something that said it was and in a zip file. i opened it, wasn't much direction as to what to do with it. anyway, i can't locate it (hosts/mvps) with search or add/remove. so guess i didn't get it. dhac
try this link

for some diagrams

and as youa re on XP

the text file needs to end up in

'Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC '

as I understand it, you need to make sure you extract the text file to the correct location in you pc;

mine goes to c:\windows as I am on win 98


if you wish for a site I KNOW to have ads on it ?? just for a 'test ' link

try


test page site


which will, I know show ads if you do NOT have the Hosts file on board


this board will lot let me post the screan shot of what I see ads free



you need to extract the text file and save it to the precise location in your pc, then reboot

and hopefully see the difference;

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI