I lost my usb hard drive and when I try to reinstall it, I get either a code 10 or code 19. I get code 10 when I try to install it as a usb mass storage device. I get code 19 when I use the Western Digital drivers. I tried to uninstall all the usb hubs and let windows reinstall them on reboot (for code 10). I tried to change the upper and lower limits like in the windows knowledge base article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196. What is wrong? Anyone have a clue? Please advise. thanks
First, reset the BIOS. That should take of that however, if it does not. Reboot back into BIOS and make sure that you dont have a LBA setting disabled.
(To reset BIOS, look on the board by the battery and see if there is a jumper that has RESET CMOS wrote some were close to it. If not.. take the battery out — — and either short the negative to the positive side of the battery holder or simply leave the battery out for about 5 minutes.)
Sorry about taking a while to respond. I was working on this and other problems. I tried resetting the CMOS. It did not work. I did not see anything unchecked in the LBAs. Everything looked normal in the BIOS. I even tried formatting the main drive and reinstalling windows and see if that might clear up the problem. (it did not) I hope that I have not lost the drive permanently. It had some important files on it. If I could just get it to read, I could use testdisk and fix it. Any other suggestions? Thank you for your prompt response last time. I really appreciate it.
Hi,
You seem to have tried all the usual things, so if your external USB hard drive is still not being recognised, either in the BIOS or in Windows Explorer then maybe its time to try it in a different machine entirely.
If it works there, then at least you will be able to get your data off, and you will know that the problem lies in your computer rather than the external USB hard drive.
Please make sure you use a known good, USB cable, the connectors at both ends on cable, drive and computer are clean, and making sufficient electrical contact for the data to flow, and that the power supply is supplying a full 5v, use an alternative approved power supply if in any doubt.
If your external USB hard drive still doesn't work under these circumstances it is possible that the hard drive or the circuitry connecting it to the case has a fault. If it is still under warranty/guarantee or service agreement then its best to consult the retailer, distributor/manufacturer or their authorised service agents.
Need less to say you should try a variety of USB ports when you plug it in and use a port preferably on the back of a (desktop) computer and avoid plugging it in to a hub.
Post back and let us know how you get on.
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI