This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

problem with update on Spyware Doctor

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, :wavey:
I'm new here and not all that computer literate BUT I've been told that I could get help here. I bought Spyware Doctor several months ago and everything has been fine until today. I got a notification from them that a newer version was available and so I downloaded it. At first things were ok but then I started having problems. First, it kept telling me that I had no virus protection. I checked my McAfee and everything was up and running. Next I started having non-responsive programs. Then I started having problem with opening more than 1 browser window. I tried to list on Inkfrog and have a window open in ebay for searches, but the whole computer locked up, several times. If I did the control, alt, delete thing to shut down a program, the screen pop-up screen kept saying that all the programs were unresponsive.

I emailed PC Tools but so far no answer from them. Finally I just removed Spyware Doctor and all my problems have stopped. But, I have a paid subscription and I like having that protection, especially since I have 2 stores onlne and pretty much earn my living online. So-any ideas how I can still use it or should I just forget about it?
Thanks a lot for your help..I'm unsure how to proceed and need to have all this explained to me like I'm 5 years old. :unsure:

GinnyC
hi ginnyC,

if all the problems left when you uninstalled Spyware Doctor, then that must have been part or all of the problem. It was working ok before the new version. what to do?

maybe the new version wasnt quite ready for prime time just yet, maybe its conflicting with some other app on your computer (mcafee?). you could wait on a email reply. you could check spyware doctor forums (if there is one) for people with the same type of problems. you could email them about going back to the previous version of spyware doctor.
alot of security suites these days come with antivirus, antimalware etc. all in one. If your McAfee includes a antispyware module then you should be ok. it is possible to run a computer safely without any antispyware apps. If your McAfee dosnt include a antispyware scanner with it, i can recommend many alternatives to use until you hear back from spyware doctor or to use permanently.

edit:
they do have a forum. in any case i would post there at least to let them know whats happened after you installed the new version
http://www.pctools.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8

shelf life
Hi Again, My McAfee does have spyware but I shut it off when I bought the Spyware Doctor because i was sure they would conflict. Had a similiar problem with Norton and Critical Care once and it cost my daughter the hardrive on her computer. i opened a tech ticket with PC Tools but so far no response. I went to the PC Tools site and downloaded Spyware Doctor again, the new version, and so far it's working ok. No more slow or frozen windows, so maybe we're in the clear. Thanks for your answer. I really appreciate it-I'm on my own with my computer for the first time and I guess I still think I can blow it up! But you hear so many horror stories and the Luck of The Irish is not living with me these days so……. :unsure: Thanks again GinnyC

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI