passivelurker
Topic Starter
The rig: I\'m working off a Windows 7 desktop now. I keep Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes, and McAfee on this machine.
The symptoms: I was browsing a few Google document sites when the browser slowed down a lot. It took a whole minute or so to close the browser window. I started up Spybot, updated it, and ran it. No problems. Same with McAfee - updated and ran, no problems. Then came Malwarebytes. I clicked over to the update tab and the update button was greyed out. I\'m using the freely downloadable version of the software, not the paid version. Should I be nervous? I ran a MBAM scan anyway and it turned up negative, but I'm not so sure.
Summary: browser slowed down earlier today, and now MBAM won\'t update. In the absence of any other symptoms, should I be scared and what should I do?
I am trying to follow the FAQ self-administered steps. I have had problems with some of the first few steps, probably because I\'m on Windows 7. I have decided to wait and see what the more tech-savvy advisers tell me to do rather than complete the entire self-administered steps.
1. DeFogger. I followed the steps listed and it seemed to work all right (and the CD Emulation drivers should still be disabled on this machine), but it did not ask for a restart. Log is here:
2. ATF-Cleaner. I downloaded and ran it as listed. This seemed to go fine.
3. SysRestorePoint.exe - this flat out does not work on Windows 7. Can I skip this step?
4. ERUNT - this appears to not work for Windows 7. Can I skip this step?
Pausing the process until I get further instructions.
Another edit: I found one forum that fixed my "Malwarebytes won't update" problem. According to this forum, I need to run the program in administrator mode. I did this and it now updates fine.
I suspect there is no malware at work here, so this topic may now be closed unless your experts think otherwise.
The symptoms: I was browsing a few Google document sites when the browser slowed down a lot. It took a whole minute or so to close the browser window. I started up Spybot, updated it, and ran it. No problems. Same with McAfee - updated and ran, no problems. Then came Malwarebytes. I clicked over to the update tab and the update button was greyed out. I\'m using the freely downloadable version of the software, not the paid version. Should I be nervous? I ran a MBAM scan anyway and it turned up negative, but I'm not so sure.
Summary: browser slowed down earlier today, and now MBAM won\'t update. In the absence of any other symptoms, should I be scared and what should I do?
I am trying to follow the FAQ self-administered steps. I have had problems with some of the first few steps, probably because I\'m on Windows 7. I have decided to wait and see what the more tech-savvy advisers tell me to do rather than complete the entire self-administered steps.
1. DeFogger. I followed the steps listed and it seemed to work all right (and the CD Emulation drivers should still be disabled on this machine), but it did not ask for a restart. Log is here:
defogger_disable by jpshortstuff (29.01.10.1)
Log created at 00:23 on 15/02/2010 (username)
Checking for autostart values…
HKCU\\~\\Run values retrieved.
HKLM\\~\\Run values retrieved.
Checking for services/drivers…
-=E.O.F=-
2. ATF-Cleaner. I downloaded and ran it as listed. This seemed to go fine.
3. SysRestorePoint.exe - this flat out does not work on Windows 7. Can I skip this step?
4. ERUNT - this appears to not work for Windows 7. Can I skip this step?
Pausing the process until I get further instructions.
Another edit: I found one forum that fixed my "Malwarebytes won't update" problem. According to this forum, I need to run the program in administrator mode. I did this and it now updates fine.
I suspect there is no malware at work here, so this topic may now be closed unless your experts think otherwise.