This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

BSOD

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi guys,

I have been having a BSOD problem for quite some time now. My computer has been crashing (BSOD) and restarting and it seems that noone can figure out what is wrong. I have taken it to many computer repair shops and everyone said that they NEVER experienced the problem that I had described (meaning that when my computer was there for maintnance and repairs nothing was wrong; no crashes, no BSOD). They assured me that they had ran all the hardware tests and found no errors. But the moment I bring it home, plug it in and start it up it happens all over again. I have also run some tests, focusing on RAMs (that is where I suspect that the problem is) but nothing was found.

I have been solving another problem regarding malware here on your forums with one of your MW Team members. He suggested that I post my problem here in hardware forum. The whole thread of our conversation can be found here (click, the part regarding BSOD is in the 2nd half of the post).

To describe the problem: it occurs mostly during the first 30 min from the start when I first turn it on. It then usually crashes 1 or 2 times and then it works fine. It may crash again but it is not always so. Here is the link to the screenshot that I took when BSOD occured (click). There has also been another type of BSOD that happened reporting MEMORY_MANAGEMENT as a reason for the crash.

I hope that one of you guys here can help me because I am realy confused as to what is causing this problem. I have been considering buying new RAM, but I want to make sure that that is the source of the problem before rushing to replace any parts.

Thanks in advance! :)
A If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed…
…run memtest…


1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file… icon:

[external image: Posted Image]

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

[external image: Posted Image]

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.


The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:


[external image: Posted Image]

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

[external image: Posted Image]

The following image is the test results area:

[external image: Posted Image]

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.
I have 2 RAM sticks. Do you think it is a compatibility issue or is it that just one may be corrupt?
Ok, so I have finished testing all of my RAM sticks and it appears that one of them is corrupt. Only while usuing that specific RAM my computer crashed. So I guess i will have to buy new RAM (I had intended to do so for some time now). i have one question though. Is it possible that one of the RAM slots on my motherboard is corrupt? Just asking, so that I know if I have to test the slots as well.
Ok, well thanks a lot. I'll report in a couple of days. :) Btw coul you recommend me where can I buy some RAM for my motherboard, because I have quite a limited range due to the age of my P5KC. =/
I can suggest but I need you to do the following so I can get the specifications of the ram.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.
Memory: DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-8500 Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-8500, DDR2, DDR3 (non-ECC) Maximum Memory: 8GB Currently Installed Memory: 3GB Total Memory Slots: 4 Available Memory Slots: 1 You system has two different slot configurations. Is this it?
Yes that is it but it''s not telling me what your currently installed memory is. The only thing it is showing is what memory is compatible and I want to make sure I get the same type you have installed.
On the bad module you took out does it have a sticker on it with any info?
We can try another program to see if there is not any info on the module.

Please download CPUz from my signature below
[1:] Save it to your desktop.
[2:] Click on the icon it creates and let it run
[3:] I need the following information from it.
[4:] First click on the Mainboard tab at the top of the window and give me Manufacturer and Model number it shows
[5:] Click on the Memory tab and give me the Type and Size of memory it shows.
[6:] Click on the SPD tab and get me the Max Bandwidth line information.
Please include in your next reply


http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI