"e recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful."
This message appeared after a re-boot. I had just used Tune-Up Utilities to clean up the registry and defrag. Now, before you tell me it was that program, let me explain that about 6-8 mos. ago, that same message started appearing out of the blue, and Tune-Up Util was one of the first things I tried to use in fixing it. So even though I could roll back the changes Tune-Up Util caused, I don't think that is the answer.
I searched the MS KB for this and only got one response, having to do with connected an XP computer to an NT domain. I am not trying to do this.
After a while, other problems started coming up on this computer, getting steadily worse until last week I had to reinstall WINXPPro. All has been fine until this recent re-boot. I am caught up with all the updates to Windows.
Has anyone dealt with this pesky message and figured out WHICH registry file needs fixing? Of course the error message tells you nothing, nor do the log files I checked.
Thanks as always,
Juliane
Oh my goodness, Ax! This looks like *exactly* what I just went through!!! Yes, I do have a Dell Dimension 4400 desktop. I need to read this. I have never seen this article - how did you find it???
Bless your heart. I'll be back in a little while.
Juliane
p.s. I have a Maxtor drive in the Dell - I just checked. I have a 2nd drive that I may just switch over to…If I add a new, larger capacity drive, do I need to add more memory as well? I can't remember how much memory I have now (ha ha, a little computer Alzheimer joke there), but I did add more the last time the computer crashed out, so it's at least more than the computer originally had. Any other hardware or software I should upgrade?
It does look as though a new box may be in our future, but it would be Dell again, so if they are still using this HD, I don't know what it would gain us other than more memory and processor speed. Which might be good in and of itself…
I can't thank you enough for finding this. You're just brillianT
Juliane,
I found the article using Google. I doubt the similarities are mere coincidence. The article author's ultimate decision is to install a new hard drive, it seems this hard drive is problematic. This is not to say all hard drives you get from Dell will be problematic, just the one that's in the 4400. I haven't experienced this issue on my system, which is a 4500, so I think you are fine to purchase from Dell again.
As far as your memory question, you would not have to install any more memory, as the memory does not depend on the size of the hard drive. Memory is what helps the computer do more things at once (or at least do things faster). The hard drive is where everything is stored.
Looks like you know which road you will take from here. I'm glad I could help.
Regards,
Ax
If I could, I would buy you an adult beverage of your choice, or, if you don't imbibe, give you a giant HUG! Cannot thank you enough, especially since this thread will now come up in case someone else searches for the same problem.
I am avoiding defrag until I get a new HD installed.
Oh, one more tiny q - You know that I have the old install and the new install of Windows on the same drive right now…I tried to copy the old one to D and then delete it, but the computer won't let me. Is there a way to get that done safely? Or are some files still operational on that install, and that's why it's not deleting? I understand if you don't have the answer.
I also like your signature.
Thanks again, Juliane
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI