Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Ourlook Express

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:12 PM

I am running Windows XP SP/2 with Outlook Express 6.0. I was wanting to edit/delete my signature in the options/signature/ tab. However as soon as I change anything in either the maintenance tab or signature tab and click Apply, Outlook shows "not responding" in Task Manager so I need to end task. I have closed Outlook, tried again, that did not work, so I rebooted with no improvement. Would someone solve this problem for me please? I have no other problems with Outlook Express, all is working well. Thanks and kind regards, PS. I forgot to say that each time I try this there is an identical process added to the processes running in Task Manager called <drwtns32.exe> I checked what this was and it is a Dr Watson Debug process!

Edited by tallin, 15 March 2007 - 09:15 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:27 AM

Hi Tallin,

MS offers two possible solutions for problems with Outlook express.
One is rather "hopeful", and the other is rather "drastic".

MS "hopes" that your problem with OE is simply a "missing or corrupted operating system file".
solution:
Run Windows File Protection System File Checker
To do so:
Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - Enter <---- notice the space between "c" and "/"

You will need to have your XP installation CD available, since SFC will call for it if SFC identifies any missing or corrupt OS files and needs to replace them by copying from the XP CD.

Please Run your SFC (may take about 20 minutes) and then attempt your "change of signature" in OE.
SFC will simply stop when it is finished and not give you much information about what it did.
If you want to follow along for those 20 minutes as the scan progresses, you will be able to notice whether or not SFC does find any missing or corrupt files and whether or not they get replaced.

Post back with your results.
------

The "drastic" solution proposed by MS involves Repair Installation, so let's see what comes of your SFC before considering any next steps.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:20 AM

Thanks for your reply Dough.

I executed both options given to me by you, one the running of sfc /scannow which led me to stumble into what was described as a DYNAMIC UPDATE. Good name for it, as it sure was dynamic!

The most amazing thing of all is that I cannot see a bit of difference as all my settings were saved and the signature in Outlook Express still does not work. That was 3 and a half hours after I inserted the Windows XP CD after typing sfc /scannow! I must say I was a bit doubtful during the whole performance, a good........... very good learning curve for me.

The main problem with the "Dynamic Update" was the new Video Drivers that were required midway through the installation. You see the system couldn't find them and I had forgotten where they were. Anyway it is all OK now so I will not bore TC with my past problems.

Thanks for your effort in replying - the initial problem faded into oblivion as the dynamic update took hold.

Kind regards,

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:09 AM

Hi Tallin,

Outlook Express still does not work.

the initial problem faded into oblivion as the dynamic update took hold.

Are you now able to accomplish the OE change of signature?

Best Regards

#5 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:35 PM

Hi Dough

In a word, no it does not work.

signature in Outlook Express still does not work. Kind regards,

Having the signature not working is now not phasing me at all as if it involves any more lengthly exercises like I found myself in yesterday we will let it go I think.

Thanks again for your help.

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:39 PM

I'm aware that you are "security conscious" in your internet practice and use various of the well-recommended tools to keep secure. It is also important to keep up to date with MS Updates. Even if you have "automatic updates" enabled, go to the MS Updates site every now and then to allow their Windows Genuine Advantage protocol to scan for any Updates that you machine may have missed. Best Regards

#7 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:55 PM

Dough Thanks for the suggestion. That was the first thing I did when my system returned to normal last night. There were 72 Microsoft Updates all safely downloaded and installed. Other than that all seems to be up to date, although I have only just surfaced for our Saturday and have not yet checked my Anitspyware. I did run AVG virus scanner before I retired last night late with all up to date and nil problems. Thanks for your suggestion and kind regards,

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:02 PM

:thumbup: