This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Ourlook Express

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am running Windows XP SP/2 with Outlook Express 6.0. I was wanting to edit/delete my signature in the options/signature/ tab. However as soon as I change anything in either the maintenance tab or signature tab and click Apply, Outlook shows "not responding" in Task Manager so I need to end task. I have closed Outlook, tried again, that did not work, so I rebooted with no improvement. Would someone solve this problem for me please? I have no other problems with Outlook Express, all is working well. Thanks and kind regards, PS. I forgot to say that each time I try this there is an identical process added to the processes running in Task Manager called I checked what this was and it is a Dr Watson Debug process!
Hi Tallin,

MS offers two possible solutions for problems with Outlook express.
One is rather "hopeful", and the other is rather "drastic".

MS "hopes" that your problem with OE is simply a "missing or corrupted operating system file".
solution:
Run Windows File Protection System File Checker
To do so:
Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - Enter <—- notice the space between "c" and "/"

You will need to have your XP installation CD available, since SFC will call for it if SFC identifies any missing or corrupt OS files and needs to replace them by copying from the XP CD.

Please Run your SFC (may take about 20 minutes) and then attempt your "change of signature" in OE.
SFC will simply stop when it is finished and not give you much information about what it did.
If you want to follow along for those 20 minutes as the scan progresses, you will be able to notice whether or not SFC does find any missing or corrupt files and whether or not they get replaced.

Post back with your results.
——

The "drastic" solution proposed by MS involves Repair Installation, so let's see what comes of your SFC before considering any next steps.

Best Regards
Thanks for your reply Dough.

I executed both options given to me by you, one the running of sfc /scannow which led me to stumble into what was described as a DYNAMIC UPDATE. Good name for it, as it sure was dynamic!

The most amazing thing of all is that I cannot see a bit of difference as all my settings were saved and the signature in Outlook Express still does not work. That was 3 and a half hours after I inserted the Windows XP CD after typing sfc /scannow! I must say I was a bit doubtful during the whole performance, a good……….. very good learning curve for me.

The main problem with the "Dynamic Update" was the new Video Drivers that were required midway through the installation. You see the system couldn't find them and I had forgotten where they were. Anyway it is all OK now so I will not bore TC with my past problems.

Thanks for your effort in replying - the initial problem faded into oblivion as the dynamic update took hold.

Kind regards,
Hi Tallin,

Outlook Express still does not work.

the initial problem faded into oblivion as the dynamic update took hold.


Are you now able to accomplish the OE change of signature?

Best Regards
Hi Dough

In a word, no it does not work.

signature in Outlook Express still does not work. Kind regards,


Having the signature not working is now not phasing me at all as if it involves any more lengthly exercises like I found myself in yesterday we will let it go I think.

Thanks again for your help.
I'm aware that you are "security conscious" in your internet practice and use various of the well-recommended tools to keep secure. It is also important to keep up to date with MS Updates. Even if you have "automatic updates" enabled, go to the MS Updates site every now and then to allow their Windows Genuine Advantage protocol to scan for any Updates that you machine may have missed. Best Regards
Dough Thanks for the suggestion. That was the first thing I did when my system returned to normal last night. There were 72 Microsoft Updates all safely downloaded and installed. Other than that all seems to be up to date, although I have only just surfaced for our Saturday and have not yet checked my Anitspyware. I did run AVG virus scanner before I retired last night late with all up to date and nil problems. Thanks for your suggestion and kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI