This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Tatss.exe?

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been having trouble with pop-up ads as of late and recently have been having a difficult time getting into Outlook and other MS applications. When I run Task Manager, the applications are 'Not Responding' and the CPU usage is as 100% when I have nothing running. There is one process that I notice running all the time and it is 'tatss.exe' - when I did a search on this particular exe - this forum came up, so I thought to send a note and see what I am to do about it! Thanks!
Welcome…. To start, please download and run Spybot and/or AdAware… Update the program before running it and fix the items noted as having a problem. In Spybot these items will be checked with a red check mark. If you haven't already, update and run an antivirus or run one of the online scans…. Once you have done this, download and run HijackThis. To run HJT, extract it to a permanent folder such as C:\Documents or one you create like C:\HJT. Close all programs you have opened and make sure that all programs are enabled if you use msconfig. Run it and Scan, then Save the log. When the log window appears, Right click to Copy it, open your browser and come here to Paste the log. Do not make any changes until it is checked since most items are either benign or essential to the computer. This will allow us to see what is going on with your computer and help you fix it. If you have one problem, you may have others as well. You can find links to these programs below….
Thank YOU so much for your assistance… I ran the SpyBot search, added the updates and ran another. It stated that there were some items that could not be fixed and that SpyBot would run on my next boot. I also downloaded HijackThis… and these are the results:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 9:32:10 PM, on 1/20/2004
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Navnt\DefWatch.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\LogWatNT.exe
C:\Program Files\Navnt\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CreateCD\CreateCD50.exe
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Navnt\vptray.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dpi\dpi.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Image Transfer\SonyTray.exe
C:\Program Files\ORiNOCO\Client Manager\CMLUC.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = about:blank
R3 - URLSearchHook: IncrediFindBHO Class - {5D60FF48-95BE-4956-B4C6-6BB168A70310} - C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\BHO\INCFIN~1.DLL
O1 - Hosts: 12.129.205.209 search.netscape.com12.129.205.209 sitefinder.verisign.com
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4A2AACF3-ADF6-11D5-98A9-00E018981B9E} - C:\Program Files\NewDotNet\newdotnet5_48.dll
O2 - BHO: NavErrRedir Class - {5D60FF48-95BE-4956-B4C6-6BB168A70310} - C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\BHO\INCFIN~1.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CreateCD50] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CreateCD\CreateCD50.exe" -r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\Program Files\Navnt\vptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [New.net Startup] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\NEWDOT~1\NEWDOT~2.DLL,NewDotNetStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dpi] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dpi\dpi.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tat] C:\WINNT\system32\pgtools\tatss.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [SpyBotSnD] "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /autocheck
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Image Transfer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Image Transfer\SonyTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: ORiNOCO Client Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\ORiNOCO\Client Manager\CMLUC.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\updater\wupdater.exe
O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {3B02AAA2-327C-40ED-A849-4BE819AE5385} (ImgSizer Control) - file://C:\Documents and Settings\msampogna.CMISP\Local Settings\Temp\~DlfnTmp0\imgSizer.ocx
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://207.188.7.150/23afdbeb2c345bb70a20/…ip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/…7669.8383680556
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = cmisp.com
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{26460FE7-21AC-406E-884F-9BC79F8FD3AA}: NameServer = 207.69.188.187 207.69.188.186
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = cmisp.com
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = cmisp.com

Thanks!
Okay good. You do have some things to fix. First, if you didn't install and want NewDotNet, you need to uninstall it. I would recommend it unless it is serving some important purpose. Here are instructions for uninstalling it, DO NOT fix it with HJT or you may lose your internet connection:

http://www.newdotnet.com/#remove

Reboot and without opening any other windows, run HJT and fix these. Do not fix the ones that say NewDotNet (New.net ) in them if you didn't remove it. Some of them may already be gone:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = about:blank
R3 - URLSearchHook: IncrediFindBHO Class - {5D60FF48-95BE-4956-B4C6-6BB168A70310} - C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\BHO\INCFIN~1.DLL
O1 - Hosts: 12.129.205.209 search.netscape.com12.129.205.209 sitefinder.verisign.com
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4A2AACF3-ADF6-11D5-98A9-00E018981B9E} - C:\Program Files\NewDotNet\newdotnet5_48.dll
O2 - BHO: NavErrRedir Class - {5D60FF48-95BE-4956-B4C6-6BB168A70310} - C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\BHO\INCFIN~1.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [New.net Startup] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\NEWDOT~1\NEWDOT~2.DLL,NewDotNetStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dpi] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dpi\dpi.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tat] C:\WINNT\system32\pgtools\tatss.exe
O4 - Global Startup: updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\updater\wupdater.exe
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://207.188.7.150/23afdbeb2c345bb70a20/…ip/RdxIE601.cab

If this is not your ISP, you probably need to fix those O17 items:

cmisp.com

Next, please reboot into Safe Mode and find and delete this file…

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dpi\dpi.exe

Then reboot again, run HJT, open your browser and post the new log so we can make sure you have gotten all the garbage out….
Alright - I uninstalled New DotNet and removed the items you identified, rebooted in safe mode and and deleted the dpi.exe in common files. I rebooted once again and ran HJT one more time and here is my log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 11:41:12 PM, on 1/20/2004
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Navnt\DefWatch.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\LogWatNT.exe
C:\Program Files\Navnt\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CreateCD\CreateCD50.exe
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Navnt\vptray.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Image Transfer\SonyTray.exe
C:\Program Files\ORiNOCO\Client Manager\CMLUC.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\HijackThis.exe

O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CreateCD50] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CreateCD\CreateCD50.exe" -r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\Program Files\Navnt\vptray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Image Transfer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Image Transfer\SonyTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: ORiNOCO Client Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\ORiNOCO\Client Manager\CMLUC.EXE
O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {3B02AAA2-327C-40ED-A849-4BE819AE5385} (ImgSizer Control) - file://C:\Documents and Settings\msampogna.CMISP\Local Settings\Temp\~DlfnTmp0\imgSizer.ocx
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/…7669.8383680556
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = cmisp.com
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = cmisp.com
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = cmisp.com


cmisp.com is my ISP - so I did not remove these. After the last re-boot, I noticed that all of my desktop icons have disappeared. Is that normal? I haven't tried getting into Outlook or any other apps yet, until I heard back from you. Thanks again!
Well, I was about to congratulate you on a clean log and then I saw this:

After the last re-boot, I noticed that all of my desktop icons have disappeared. Is that normal?


Unfortunately, no that is not normal… It could just be a glitch in the reboot, but I would try rebooting again see if it persists. If it does, we have more work to do. Also, go ahead and check Outlook and anything else you want to check.

It would also be a good idea to read the article linked below about how you got infested in the first place and make sure you have solid security. Most programs you need for that can be found for free and many of the ones that insist on a charge are actually either useless or malevolent, so be careful about what you use, check it out here first if you are not sure…
OK - the reboot recovered the icons! Great! I tried most of the applications that I couldn't get to open prior to this whole process and the only thing that still will not open is my email in Outlook. It begins to open and then hangs until I get an 'End Program' window. I am not sure what this is about, but everything else seems to look good. Any other suggestions or ideas as to why this might be?
I am not real sure about that, but I think you have the option of running a repair from the Office CD for Outlook and you could try that. It is possible that one the malware programs you had could have damaged your install. Also, check your security settings to make sure they are not blocking. If these options don't work let me know and I will ask for help from people that know Outlook better. I am also a regular at PCGuide Forums and I know we have a couple of people who are extremely skilled at working with Outlook, so you could also try posting there if you can't fix it…. I am glad to hear the rest is working well…. :D
I have been meaning to post a reply again and let you know that I was able to get my outlook fixed and my laptop works like new again!! I can't thank you enough for all of your assistance. Best Regards!
Glad we could help :D

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)

Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI