This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Norton Antivirus Software Protection

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I worry about on having a physical copy… or does that really even matter?

It's always best to have the program available by CD if in the event of a crash or a corrupt file shoud occur.
You will not be able to do this with a Free Antivirus unless you download and burn to a CD before installing it.

However, I do have the avg anti-spyware 7.5 on my computer too…. should there be any conflict in having these both on my computers?

Having more than one AV installed will likely cause your system to run slowly and/or become unstable as well as seriously decrease the reliable detection of any malware since the two AntiVirus's will likely "compete" against each other.
You can keep both programs, but you must disable the real-time component of one AV, keeping it as an on-demand scanner, while the other AV will provide a real-time protection.
The alternative is to uninstall one AV and keep the other.

So should I go in and remove the norton completely off of my computers?

Yes, the best way to ensure all Norton files have been removed is to run the Norton Removal tool
To fully remove Norton AntiVirus, you should go here before uninstalling and download the files and print the instructions for removal, and follow them after uninstalling NAV:
How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2004/2005/2006 (note: this removes ALL Norton 2004/2005/2006 products from your computer, and also uninstalls Norton Ghost 10.0/9.0/2003)
How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2003 or Norton AntiVirus 2003 Professional Edition
How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2000/2001/2002

You can use this article/tutorial in the removal instructions in case there are additional problems after/during removing Norton:
http://basconotw.mvps.org/SymRem.htm
uninstalling Symantec applications

Do I need to have both the AVG Anti-Virus Free and the AVG Anti-Spyware Free on my computers?

AVG Anti-Spyware is a complimentary tool that should run in conjunction with any Antivirus and is compatible to Nortons or AVG
I use it with my Nortons and there has never been a conflict

I worry about on having a physical copy… or does that really even matter?

It's always best to have the program available by CD if in the event of a crash or a corrupt file shoud occur.
You will not be able to do this with a Free Antivirus unless you download and burn to a CD before installing it.

However, I do have the avg anti-spyware 7.5 on my computer too…. should there be any conflict in having these both on my computers?

Having more than one AV installed will likely cause your system to run slowly and/or become unstable as well as seriously decrease the reliable detection of any malware since the two AntiVirus's will likely "compete" against each other.
You can keep both programs, but you must disable the real-time component of one AV, keeping it as an on-demand scanner, while the other AV will provide a real-time protection.
The alternative is to uninstall one AV and keep the other.

So should I go in and remove the norton completely off of my computers?

Yes, the best way to ensure all Norton files have been removed is to run the Norton Removal tool
To fully remove Norton AntiVirus, you should go here before uninstalling and download the files and print the instructions for removal, and follow them after uninstalling NAV:
How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2004/2005/2006 (note: this removes ALL Norton 2004/2005/2006 products from your computer, and also uninstalls Norton Ghost 10.0/9.0/2003)
How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2003 or Norton AntiVirus 2003 Professional Edition
How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2000/2001/2002

You can use this article/tutorial in the removal instructions in case there are additional problems after/during removing Norton:
http://basconotw.mvps.org/SymRem.htm
uninstalling Symantec applications

Do I need to have both the AVG Anti-Virus Free and the AVG Anti-Spyware Free on my computers?

AVG Anti-Spyware is a complimentary tool that should run in conjunction with any Antivirus and is compatible to Nortons or AVG
I use it with my Nortons and there has never been a conflict


Thank you Juliet…
before reading this I had already suspected that it was causing trouble on my son's computer… having both the norton and the avg on there… and once his computer was turned back on again it was causing it to run slow so I had to go into it by way of my control panel and just do the uninstall the normal way… which took some time to do. However, I disabled the Norton and was able to do it. And as far as I can tell everything seems to be in good running order. *crosses fingers*

Once again, thanks for your help! :)
Short on words today but I wanted to say I would never again use Norton and always tell folks there are programs out there just as good and free. The "top" people ie..Norton and McAfee are becomming more problematic then good as compared to others. Best of luck

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI