This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Norton Antivirus Software Protection

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am still a newbie here so I hope I am putting this in the right thread. With the help of you good people I now have my two computers cleaned. And in doing so I used the Norton Antivirus software 15 day trail to protect my computers… so now I want to purchase it for one year. So my question is… if I do choose to purchase this online… will I be able to use it on both of my home computers? Or would it be better to purchase a physical copy of the software? Any other ideas are welcome too! Thanks in advance, Jodi
To the best of my knowledge, Norton is sold on a "single-machine" use license. You would have to purchase and additional subscription to cover an additional machine. Occasionally, such companies will have a "sale price" and a few offer "two-fer" bargains. I think TrendMicro presently has a two-fer deal. Norton is a competent program, but there are also competent "free" alternatives". Grisoft's AVG Antivirus 7.5 <– good protection, low impact Avast! <— good protection, but more cumbersome/resource intensive. Most people who eventually sour on Norton, do so because Norton is such a resource hog without providing significantly better protection/service. Best Regards

To the best of my knowledge, Norton is sold on a "single-machine" use license.
You would have to purchase and additional subscription to cover an additional machine.

Occasionally, such companies will have a "sale price" and a few offer "two-fer" bargains.

I think TrendMicro presently has a two-fer deal.

Norton is a competent program, but there are also competent "free" alternatives".
Grisoft's AVG Antivirus 7.5 <– good protection, low impact
Avast! <— good protection, but more cumbersome/resource intensive.

Most people who eventually sour on Norton, do so because Norton is such a resource hog without providing significantly better protection/service.

Best Regards


Thank you so much for your help… I am going to look into these places…
The TrendMicro and the Grisof's, Avast… so I will look google these up and I let you know what I find out.

Cheers!
Jodi
Hey, I'm just another user with a different problem, but I wouldn't put Norton on again. It's a heavy utility, and although it can work well, there are other options now that are just as good if not better, for cheaper. I have heard Avast mentioned a lot, and Panda software. JMO, as someone who has had Norton from the beginning years ago. I liken it to AOL - you start there and then "graduate" into real user status shortly after. HTH.

Hey, I'm just another user with a different problem, but I wouldn't put Norton on again. It's a heavy utility, and although it can work well, there are other options now that are just as good if not better, for cheaper. I have heard Avast mentioned a lot, and Panda software. JMO, as someone who has had Norton from the beginning years ago. I liken it to AOL - you start there and then "graduate" into real user status shortly after.

HTH.


Thanks for your reply…
So I take it that you have not had the best experience with Norton? Have you tried this Avast or Panda software and if you did was it purchased in the store or online? Because I worry about on having a physical copy… or does that really even matter?

Looking forward to hearing more about what kind of software is best because I need to make a decision really soon as mine has expired and I am without any protection right now.

Hi Dance on Fire,
My subscription with Panda has just run out, so i'm now using AVG 7.5 as my antivirus and comodo as my Fire wall both seem light on resources and up to now i havn't had any problems,you might want to take a look ………

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download886.html AVG antivirus

http://www.comodo.com/products/free_products.html Comodo Firewall

Both are free……..

Hope this helps ………..

Regards pacman123


Thanks for your assistance!
I went ahead and dl and installed the free Norton to both of my computers and then I dl and installed the comodo firewall to my main computer. It doesn't look like it would be good to install on my son's computer since it's asks for access to so many sites.

I really appreciate your help with this.
:)

I tried to dl the avg but it took me to norton so that's what I did.
However, I do have the avg anti-spyware 7.5 on my computer too…. should there be any conflict in having these both on my computers?
I put Ashampoo on so as not to be without protection. NEVER CONNECT TO THE INTERNET WITHOUT A FIREWALL AND ANTIVIRUS PROTECTION!!!! I currently have Norton but it's close to expiring - ha ha fortunately my Windows OS just expired too!! (laughs maniacally) So next time it's something else for me. HTH, Juliane
Hi Dance On Fire.

I had no difficulty following the links from pacman123

I tried to dl the avg but it took me to norton so that's what I did.


I'd suggest that you not "settle" for Norton, just because that's what appeared on your screen.
Also note: Norton is NOT (free) though it may have offered a (free trial). It will soon expire and you will be faced with purchasing the full program, (not recommended) or downloading AVG AntiVirus again.

If you got "redirected" to Norton, that is "very odd" and something may be terribly wrong on your machine.

You might even want to Run HJT and Post a Log over in the Malware Removal Forum to be sure you are not already infected with a Browser hijacker!

You can also download AVG AntiVirus 7.5 (free), here:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Best Regards


Hi Dance on Fire,
My subscription with Panda has just run out, so i'm now using AVG 7.5 as my antivirus and comodo as my Fire wall both seem light on resources and up to now i havn't had any problems,you might want to take a look ………

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download886.html AVG antivirus

http://www.comodo.com/products/free_products.html Comodo Firewall

Both are free……..

Hope this helps ………..

Regards pacman123


Thanks for your assistance!
I went ahead and dl and installed the free Norton to both of my computers and then I dl and installed the comodo firewall to my main computer. It doesn't look like it would be good to install on my son's computer since it's asks for access to so many sites.

I really appreciate your help with this.
:)

I tried to dl the avg but it took me to norton so that's what I did.
However, I do have the avg anti-spyware 7.5 on my computer too…. should there be any conflict in having these both on my computers?


Just don't install more than one anti-virus program on the same computer, because they will conflict with each other. I agree with dough, it's odd that you "were taken to" Symantec for a download. don't necessarily do the easiest thing just because it's easy.

Hi Dance On Fire.

I had no difficulty following the links from pacman123

I tried to dl the avg but it took me to norton so that's what I did.


I'd suggest that you not "settle" for Norton, just because that's what appeared on your screen.
Also note: Norton is NOT (free) though it may have offered a (free trial). It will soon expire and you will be faced with purchasing the full program, (not recommended) or downloading AVG AntiVirus again.

If you got "redirected" to Norton, that is "very odd" and something may be terribly wrong on your machine.

You might even want to Run HJT and Post a Log over in the Malware Removal Forum to be sure you are not already infected with a Browser hijacker!

You can also download AVG AntiVirus 7.5 (free), here:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Best Regards


Many thanks Juliane and Dough…
I did dl the AVG AntiVirus 7.5 free… on both computers.

So should I go in and remove the norton completely off of my computers?
Right now I do have the AVG's running and everything seems to be in order.

As far as being redirected well, I think that I just found myself on the geeks avg dl page and clicked on the wrong choice… and I went with it because it was familiar and easy, just as you said… and the Norton was for a free trial of 6 months… so yeah, I would have to make some new choices when that time would come…

So I'm glad that I have the AVG AntiVirus software. Except I have another question regarding it. Are there two different types of programs for different purposes? Do I need to have both the AVG Anti-Virus Free and the AVG Anti-Spyware Free on my computers?

Hi Dance On Fire.

I had no difficulty following the links from pacman123

I tried to dl the avg but it took me to norton so that's what I did.


I'd suggest that you not "settle" for Norton, just because that's what appeared on your screen.
Also note: Norton is NOT (free) though it may have offered a (free trial). It will soon expire and you will be faced with purchasing the full program, (not recommended) or downloading AVG AntiVirus again.

If you got "redirected" to Norton, that is "very odd" and something may be terribly wrong on your machine.

You might even want to Run HJT and Post a Log over in the Malware Removal Forum to be sure you are not already infected with a Browser hijacker!

You can also download AVG AntiVirus 7.5 (free), here:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Best Regards


Also, I just wanted to note that pacman123's link was just fine…
but I think what happened is that I was on the other computer and I had another thread about what software to use and that avg link was to the geeks avg page… and that's where I made my mistake. His link is just fine. Thanks!
Yes, if you have 2 antivirus programs on the same computer, they may cause problems. You can uninstall either one. If you want to try Norton, you can, but uninstall Avast in that case. A good adware and malware program is AdAware by Lavasoft. Another one, which keeps the stuff off, is Spyware Blaster. Both are free, but if you want the premium features that update in real-time, there is a charge. If you keep both Spyware Blaster and Adaware updated regularly, and run a scan in Adaware, you shouldn't have problems. It would be nice to be able to run side-by-side comparisons of antivirus programs, but when they overlap, it can get ugly. HTH, Juliane Oh, and I forgot to add that if you can get a CD for ANY software, it's a good idea. If your system crashes and you have the CD, you can reinstall - if not, too bad. Norton does have a multi-user license now, and I got the package for free after a rebate, so watch for deals out there. They have a LOT more competition now and are offering better deals.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI