So I was chatting on MSNM the other day and it asked me to update so I did. However I started to freak out when seeing WLLoginProxy.exe so I completely uninstalled MSNM and also Flashget which I'd only downloaded a few days before. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious but I use this pc for online financial transactions so I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Thus here's my HJT log for your perusal please:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 15:34:50, on 05/03/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16414)
I would really appreciate your help with the following:
i/ is WLLoginProxy.exe something I should worry about or am I just being overly paranoid? If it's a normal and acceptable part of MSNM may I reinstall this program without worry? There seemed to be an awful lot of BHOs and I think toolbars when I installed this recent update you see.
ii/ a general overview of this log would be appreciated as it's been awhile since you kind people did that for me. So please feel free to advise on what would be safe to remove - I no longer need Flashget/Hide IP Platinum and the Sony iTunes equivalent for example as I've uninstalled all of those programs. The Wanadoo Toolbar can go too as that keeps coming back like a bad smell to IE, even though I only use IE for Windows Updates.
iii/ do you still advise to not use the Spybot Tea Timer as I currently do?
iv/ do you still have the instructions for configuration of Spybot & Adaware as the link wouldn't work for me?
Apologies for the multitude of questions but as ever your help is very much appreciated :).
I am not looking at anything real serious on your log but you do have some entries that need to go, we also need to check to see if those entries brought anything bad along with it.
Download and install the 30 day trial of AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 to your desktop.
Once you have downloaded AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
Once the setup is complete you will need run AVG and update the definition files.
On the main screen select the icon Update then select the Update now link.
Next select the Start Update button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
Once the update has completed select the Scanner icon at the top of the screen, then select the Settings tab.
Once in the Settings screen click on Recommended actions and then select Quarantine<– Dont forget this
Under Reports
Select Automatically generate report after every scan
Un-Select Only if threats were found
Close AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 <– Do not run the scan yet.
Open HijackThis > Do a System Scan Only, close your browser and all open windows, the only program or window you should have open is HijackThis, check the following entries and click on Fix Checked.
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FlashGet] "C:\Program Files\FlashGet\FlashGet.exe" /min
Boot your computer into Safemode
Go to Start> Shut Off your Computer> Restart
As the computer starts to boot-up, Tap the F8 KEY somewhat rapidly.
This will bring up a menu.
Use the Up and Down Arrow Keys to scroll up to SAFEMODE
Then press the Enter on your Keyboard
Tutorial if you need it How to boot into Safemode
IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while ewido is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning process:
Launch AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
Select the Scanner icon at the top and then the Scan tab then click on Complete System Scan.
AVG will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.
Once the scan is complete do the following:
If you have any infections you will prompted, then select Apply all actions
Next select the Reports icon at the top.
Select the Save report as button in the lower left hand of the screen and save it to a text file on your system
make sure to remember where you saved that file, this is important
Close AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5
Reboot normally and run this system cleaner.
Download and Install CCleaner
If you don't want the Yahoo Toolbar, be sure to uncheck it during installation
* Click on Run Cleaner Tutorial for CCleaner
I need to see the AVG Log and a New HJT log please.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 18:33:30, on 13/03/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16414)
AVG found nothing and your HJT log looks fine So at this point I would say your ok.
Malware Complaints
Are you mad ? I mean really mad, seething mad, so mad your ready to spit, mad that you have taken your hard earned dollars to buy a computer only to have some Miscredents, Dirt Bags and Cyber Criminals install a malicious program on your computer without your knowledge or consent. You can post your complaint at the above site. If you live in the U.S.A. you can also report your grievance to your State Attorney Generals Office and the Federal Trade Commission's Bureau of Consumer Protection.
How did I get infected in the first place ? Read these links and find out how to prevent getting infected again.
Tutorial for System Restore <– Do this first to prevent yourself from being reinfected.
Spyware Blaster It will prevent most spyware from ever being installed.
Spyware Guard It offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
Win Patrol This program will warn you when any changes are being made to your system and give you the option to deny the change.
IE-Spyad
IE-Spyad places over 4000 web sites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
Firefox 2.0 It has more features and is a lot more secure than IE. It is a very easy and painless download and install, it will no way interfere with IE, you can use them both.
Zone Alarm Here is a free Firewall from Zone Labs, I wouldn't access the internet without it.
Thanks for stopping by Tom Coyote , I'm glad I was able to help you.
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.
Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.