This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cannot login to "Administrator" after crash

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, there! Hijackthis! header: Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 12:17:52 PM, on 2/26/2007 Platform: Windows 2003 SP1 (WinNT 5.02.3790) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.3790.1830) I'm running WinXP 64bit. I had three account options on normal startup: Administrator, account1, account 2. Account 1 is a user account, limited. Account 2 is my personal account that is an admin, that I use for most everything. I was playing a game (TES IV: Oblivion), when it 'hung' (forgot I was on Administrator account when I started- had been playing for 20 minutes or so). I could not access any other open computer program, nor ctrl+alt+delete/ctrl+shjft+esc. Nothing would work. I let it go for about 30 minutes, came back. It was still hung-up. I pressed the reset button. The computer restarted, and booted to windows logon. The administrator logon option was(is) not there. I checked user security policies, and it's still enabled. I disabled the welcome screen, and I *can* login to Administrator via the prompt where you enter the account name and password manually. I looked under the User Accounts tool, and see Administrator still listed there (when I'm logged into Administrator- otherwise, it's not there). The only other thing that was at all different was me disabling "LogMeIn", the remote admin client I use, before starting the game up…that, and it was under the Administrator account, not my own. Any ideas on how to make this work properly? Maybe it's something simple? Thank you! Juron D.
Thank you for the quick response. I tried System Restore after reading your response (didn't think of it myself, not sure why not), and it didn't change anything that I could see (even though it was dated before the crash). Something happened to previous days' restore points, as there were none (I keep my computer on almost constantly) before today's date. Thank you for the idea- certainly was a good possibility…and I appreciate the help. Are there any other possible things you can think to try? Thank you again! Juron D
Got it. I had passed over this potential 'fix', since I thought I had tried it…I had tried something similar. I noticed the difference after re-reading some of the google-search posts…found it in a Microsoft support forum. regedit, go here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon \ SpecialAccounts \ UserList Add dword "Administrator", set value to "1". …did that, it all works. The other instructions similar were to a different area of registry, and simply said to make sure Administrator was not listed at all… Thank you for your help. Juron

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI